Fuel gauge

stevek

Anybody had a problem where the fuel gauge reads as a full tank but you know there is less than 1/4 of a tank full.
I own a Burstner on 03 Fiat Ducato.
I thought of filling the tank up to full and see if that has an effect.My thinking is that when I start to use that full tank that it may clear what is affecting a sensor?

Anybody had a similar problem?

Anybody had a problem where the fuel gauge reads as a full tank but you know there is less than 1/4 of a tank full.
I thought of filling the tank up to full and see if that has an effect.My thinking is that when I start to use that full tank that it may clear what is affecting a sensor?

You could try filling it up, check for any loose wires to sender unit and gauge. If none evident take sender unit out have a look, might need a new one or new gauge.
You have of course tried tapping the gauge on dash?

My prevouis ducato van had guage problem it would say 3/4 full
but it was actually full then the next I filled up it was ok.
Had the problem a few times but I never solved it.

sound like a bad earth or a short try takin the wires of the cencer spray with wd40 clean contacts also check for broken wires.:D

no fuel guages are 100% correct
i think you will have to calculate the display reading
mine reads 1/4 when i realy have 100 miles left
but when 3/4 full i have already done 300 miles
so i dont take any chances and i refuel when it reads 1/2 full and always top up when returning home even if i have only done 100 or so miles

you can check by takeing wire of float unit,if gauge goes down prob lies at tank unit,these work via a earth through the float sending a resisted earth via the float,sometimes the wire to the gauge can be touching earth ,thus keeping gauge full,,

you can check by takeing wire of float unit,if gauge goes down prob lies at tank unit,these work via a earth through the float sending a resisted earth via the float,sometimes the wire to the gauge can be touching earth ,thus keeping gauge full,,

You need to be a little careful with this method, as some gauges work the other way round. i.e. wire earthed (closed circut) = gauge reads EMPTY - wire disconected (open circut) = gauge reads FULL.

Unfortunatly i don't know which way yours works.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back