French Green Card

Doigy

Last August I was rear-ended by a French truck whilst stationary at red traffic lights in a small French town.

Insurance forms completed with diagrams etc clearly showing what happened. I have a letter from my insurer (AXA) stating no fault on my part. As of today, I'm still waiting for the claim to be settled over seven months later. The reason given by the third party (French) is that I did not provide Green Card details.

Have I been negligent/naive in not having one?

It is causing massive knock-on effects for renewal of car insurance as there is still an outstanding claim and therefore NCB has to be zero.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Sorry to hear your problems just checked our insurance an have got accident statements supplied by our insurance to get completed by ourselves an other driver but they ain't green. Did you take any photos at the scene they might help

Yes, I've got other driver's completed paperwork admitting his fault along with photos of my vehicle and his.
I just don't get it. My big worry is/was that I've omitted to do something that will invalidate the claim. Looks like it might end up going to Ombudsman.

Yes, I've got other driver's completed paperwork admitting his fault along with photos of my vehicle and his.
I just don't get it. My big worry is/was that I've omitted to do something that will invalidate the claim. Looks like it might end up going to Ombudsman.
I know I don't need a green card . Obviously I haven't a clue how I know that .
Pretty sure there is an official document stating that somewhere . Your insurance company will know this but may not care .
Are you a member of AA or another relevant motoring organisation ?

OFF GOV.UK SITE

Check with your insurer if your policy has extra cover for things like theft or damage to your car abroad.

You do not need to carry a green card when you drive in the EU (including Ireland), Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia, and Switzerland. You still need valid vehicle insurance.

You may need to carry a green card to drive in other countries, including

I wonder if, by referring to green card details, they mean a European Accident Statement which is a standard form used throughout EU that you fill in at the time of the incident. They used to be supplied by your insurer when green cards were a 'thing'. Some years ago, I had need to use one for a minor non-fault bump in Brittany.

I have paid for comprehensive EU cover with my current insurer (Caravanguard) but I can't see any mention of an EAS on their website.

Nevertheless, I've just found one on-line which I think I will print off for my imminent trip to France. Just in case.

Last edited:
I wonder if, by referring to green card details, they mean a European Accident Statement which is a standard form used throughout EU that you fill in at the time of the incident. They used to be supplied by your insurer when green cards were a 'thing'. Some years ago, I had need to use one for a minor non-fault bump in Brittany.

I have paid for comprehensive EU cover with my current insurer (Caravanguard) but I can't see any mention of an EAS on their website.

Nevertheless, I've just found one on-line which I think I will print off in for my imminent trip to France. Just in case.
Can you post a link to the form please?

Regards,
Del

OFF GOV.UK SITE

Check with your insurer if your policy has extra cover for things like theft or damage to your car abroad.

You do not need to carry a green card when you drive in the EU (including Ireland), Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia, and Switzerland. You still need valid vehicle insurance.

You may need to carry a green card to drive in other countries, including
That's the one

If you are printing one off, it might be advisable to print off a French version as well, in case the other driver doesn’t have one in his native language to hand. Reduces the potential for misunderstandings and covers all the bases.
I have carried French and Spanish versions as well as a couple of English copies for many years. Not had need of one but being prepared (even for the U.K. and ROI ) helps ward off the need. Hopefully!!

Davy

Thanks to one all. You're a great bunch.
I'll get a couple of EAS forms sorted for the next trip.

Back