French Aires Guide in English

Don Madge

The authors of Go Motorhoming Europe have compiled a guide in English to the French Aires, the guide contains information on about 1000 aires.
The guide should be available late June early July .

The guide will be available online at http://www.vicarious-shop.co.uk./index.php and it's hoped to have it on sale at the Lincoln show.

I spent the weekend at the Newbury show chatting to the authors (Chris & Meli) and helping out on the Vicarious book stall.

I will keep you updated on the progress of the book.

Don

rustytransit said:
I thought an Aire was a layby.
its an area that motorhomes can use as a stopover...all different types..some have elec,some have free elec,water & waste facilities...chemical dump....sort of like a carpark/campsite.....some with grass others not...some on river banks.....im sure some of other members have more experience than me as i am only going on by what they have told me...samm ;)

thanks don madge. just ordered a copy. hope it arrives before we go on july 14th. :)

pappajohn said:
thanks don madge. just ordered a copy. hope it arrives before we go on july 14th. :)

You should get it the first few days in July.

If you enter "gomo" in the promotional code box you will get a 5% discount.

This offer is in the latest edition of Go Motorhoming Europe.

Regards

Don

Don Madge said:
If you enter "gomo" in the promotional code box you will get a 5% discount.

This offer is in the latest edition of Go Motorhoming Europe.

Regards

Don

bit late now don madge.already ordered it. :D :D that would have got me 2/3ltr of diesel. could have driven for miles on that. :D

Don Madge said:
You should get it the first few days in July.

Hi, got my copy today and it looks very useful.
i did notice that gps data is in two formats which could be confusing if you dont read it properly.
cheers
john. ;)

pappajohn said:
Hi, got my copy today and it looks very useful.
i did notice that gps data is in two formats which could be confusing if you dont read it properly.
cheers
john. ;)

John,

I'm not into Sat Nav yet but I can only find one set of co ordinates.

It's number 4 on the "explanation of an entry" on how to use the guide page. or am I missing some thing ?

Don

Don Madge said:
John,

I'm not into Sat Nav yet but I can only find one set of co ordinates.

It's number 4 on the "explanation of an entry" on how to use the guide page. or am I missing some thing ?

Don

hi don,
just had a look and i found 3 different formats for lat and long.
my computer doesn't have a deg symbol but its obvious were the symbol should be in the first one.

page 92 CHATELGUYON N45*55.394' E003*03.962'

page 92 CHAUDES AIGUES 44:50:57N 03:0:7E

page 93 LAC D'ABUSSON 45.75414N 3.61503E

looks like degrees,degrees. degrees, mins, secs. and degrees,mins. have been used by different people.
whilst i know all three will get you there anyone not used to GPS coordinates could be confused.
just an observation on my part and still an excellent guide.

john.

John,

That's a very good point, as I said I'm not into Sat Nav yet but after checking your observations I'm totally confused, easily done these days.

I think maybe the co-ords could be made clearer especially for dummies like me.

I'll have a word with Chris and see what he can come up with.

Many thanks for putting me straight.

Don

hi don,
maybe just nit-picking but as i said it can be confusing.
perhaps future issues could be in one format. the first seems to be the most popular.

it's about time we got a nice,simple guide like this one. :)

thanks,
john.

John,

I don't think it's nit picking I think you have a very valid point. I'm sure there must be a way of converting the co-ords so they all use the same system or somethink like that.

Regards

Don

Don Madge said:
John,

I don't think it's nit picking I think you have a very valid point. I'm sure there must be a way of converting the co-ords so they all use the same system or somethink like that.

Regards

Don

i think in general most sat navs can use any of these formats if you know how to adjust them. if the aire inspectors are asked to use the same format then there should be no problem.

john

usually found on an autoroute (paying and free) or dual carriageway, an aire de repose is a lay-by/rest area, most of them are around 12 miles apart and have basic toilet and water facilities the older of which are in the trees. The french also have service stations about the 50/60 mile mark, these are also aires. Both have facilities for overnighting for lgv pcv private cars and motorhomes/caravans.....phew that was a long one, the typing finger took a bashing there!!

Do not confuse

firefighter said:
usually found on an autoroute (paying and free) or dual carriageway, an aire de repose is a lay-by/rest area, most of them are around 12 miles apart and have basic toilet and water facilities the older of which are in the trees. The french also have service stations about the 50/60 mile mark, these are also aires. Both have facilities for overnighting for lgv pcv private cars and motorhomes/caravans.....phew that was a long one, the typing finger took a bashing there!!
Sorry Firefighter but do not confuse Autoroute and RN Aires with Motorhome Aires that are found in small villages and large cities alike.
On these Aires you can usually get water, empty the loo and maybe get electricity.
regards Graham

firefighter said:

FF,

I found your post very confusing I hate to think what the inexperienced motorhomer will make of it.

No offence meant.

Don

Understood the meaning

Don Madge said:
FF,

I found your post very confusing I hate to think what the inexperienced motorhomer will make of it.

No offence meant.

Don
I understood what firefighter meant as an ex International Trucker, I frequented the type of Aires that he refered to.
Just thought I would draw attention to it for the less experienced.
Hope no offence taken.
regards Graham

firefighter said:

cheers firefighter but the guide only covers those aire,s that are in towns and villages with some remote but rural sites as most people travelling the autoroutes will find the others with no problem. :) :)

john.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back