Free Fridge!

clarkpeacock

Would anyone like this fridge free of charge to strip for spares?

It's about 4 years old but stopped cooling and has probably lost its coolant so apparently not worth repairing despite costing over £1200!

Many of the parts are compatible with other Dometic fridges, so it could be a good eBay earner for someone with the time to strip it.

Currently taking up too much space in the shed, so I am under instruction to take it to the tip - which seems a shame.

Free for collection near Worcester.

I might be up for taking it on as our ancient fridge in our ancient auto-sleeper is completely buggered? 🤔

Would only want to take it if definitely repairable, otherwise it will just end up with our other junk in the garage, or at the tip as you propose! 🤪😁

But Worcester is a long way from us? 😕

Funnily enough I was watching a very interesting (well, it was to me :geek: ) youtube video on refrigerators this morning, and from watching that, I got the impression repairing a fridge, especially if just regassing, should be very doable - and on such an expensive unit, very worthwhile if you can find a man (or woman!) with the kit to do so.

On the flip side, if replacing a fridge that size with a new one, I'd 100% go fully AC electric - the amount of money saved on the purchase price would pay for a 100Ah lithium battery and inverter to run it (and lots more beside)

Funnily enough I was watching a very interesting (well, it was to me :geek: ) youtube video on refrigerators this morning, and from watching that, I got the impression repairing a fridge, especially if just regassing, should be very doable - and on such an expensive unit, very worthwhile if you can find a man (or woman!) with the kit to do so.

On the flip side, if replacing a fridge that size with a new one, I'd 100% go fully AC electric - the amount of money saved on the purchase price would pay for a 100Ah lithium battery and inverter to run it (and lots more beside)
Recharging refrigerant in compressor type fridges/freezers/air-conditioning units cars etc

Is pretty straight forward with the correct equipment (and qualifications to be legal)
In fact I do it on pretty much a daily basis....

Ammonia (as used in absorbtion type fridges) is a different matter and requires a, lot more care and equipment to deal with due to the qualities/toxicity of the ammonia and the additives its charged with...

Add to that the usual cause of loss of ammonia is likely to be a pierced evaporator... Usually buried in the foam insulation of the fridge itself

Recharging refrigerant in compressor type fridges/freezers/air-conditioning units cars etc

Is pretty straight forward with the correct equipment (and qualifications to be legal)
In fact I do it on pretty much a daily basis....

Ammonia (as used in absorbtion type fridges) is a different matter and requires a, lot more care and equipment to deal with due to the qualities/toxicity of the ammonia and the additives its charged with...

Add to that the usual cause of loss of ammonia is likely to be a pierced evaporator... Usually buried in the foam insulation of the fridge itself
It's ammonia. Spoke to the authorised Dometic repairer who said it wasn't worth it. Mind you, they wanted to supply a new one at £1245.

It's a freestanding version used in my off grid cabin. Now replaced with Chinese Smad one which seems a lot better built.

Loads of bits interchangable with other Dometic fridges, so thought it might be useful to someone. Taking up room in the 'She Shed' so got to go!

It's ammonia. Spoke to the authorised Dometic repairer who said it wasn't worth it. Mind you, they wanted to supply a new one at £1245.

It's a freestanding version used in my off grid cabin. Now replaced with Chinese Smad one which seems a lot better built.

Loads of bits interchangable with other Dometic fridges, so thought it might be useful to someone. Taking up room in the 'She Shed' so got to go!
Absoloutley will be solid gold for spares (price of some parts is off the scale as soon as its got dometic/Electrolux written on it)

The cost of repair of fridge units (domestic compressor types too) is very often not economic sadly....
I don't even bother repairing my own kitchen fridges unless it's a thermostat etc...

Why don't you advertise it on Gumtree or Facebook, collection only?

You could definitely get a few quid for it and much better than rubbish dump, imho.

I might be up for taking it on as our ancient fridge in our ancient auto-sleeper is completely buggered? 🤔

Would only want to take it if definitely repairable, otherwise it will just end up with our other junk in the garage, or at the tip as you propose! 🤪😁

But Worcester is a long way from us? 😕
Upcycle it as a planter Marie, pretty well insulated to keep the frost at bay or fill with ice and stick in bottles of that fizzy crap that you girls seem to like. :whistle:

Wasn't Barry looking for a spare for his fridge?

shout.gif
BARRYD !!
@barryd

Why don't you advertise it on Gumtree or Facebook, collection only?

You could definitely get a few quid for it and much better than rubbish dump, imho.
Tried advertising it on eBay, but nobody interested. Keep well away from Facebook 🥴

Hence trying to give it away now. Seems criminal to dump it!

How long are the plastic door boxes/shelves? I am a couple short on my fridge but it is a different model.

Does seem criminal to dump it.
What about Gumtree? Free to advertise 🤷‍♀️
Just found out Freecycle are open again now so will put in on the local groups. Thanks for the suggestion - don't really want anything for it so not sure Gumtree is the right place?

How long are the plastic door boxes/shelves? I am a couple short on my fridge but it is a different model.
It's a bit buried behind all the stuff that came out of the motorhome I just sold at the moment, but the door is 52cm wide if that helps? Will get it cleared tomorrow and get the door open :)

Edit... Here's a pic from the website showing the shelves
1619375393550.png

Attachments

• PXL_20210425_182445413.jpg
    PXL_20210425_182445413.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 112

Good suggestion Wildebus. I have already replaced it with a Chinese made Smad fridge which seems better built and half the price. It's in my full time off grid cabin which has 2500 watts of solar, 20KW of AGM batteries and Victron Multiplus 24/3000/70. This runs everything including washing machine and all important coffee maker pretty much all year, but I use the fridge on gas during the winter months with 7KVA diesel generator as a last resort.

Very disappointed with the Dometic fridge which was an expensive bit of kit, never really worked particularly well and packed up after only 4 years!

Last edited:
After reading many posts by wildbus i took the plunge and fitted a 230v small fridge and a smart inverter, i must say it was the best thing i ever did which saved cutting more holes in my van, the fridge is a sealed unit with no rear cooling pipework, runs 2 days easy on 180ah batts, id say half that if using lights etc.
Made the holding catch and swung the door to other side.

Attachments

• fridge a.jpg
    fridge a.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 130
  • fridge c.jpg
    fridge c.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 133
  • fridge b.jpg
    fridge b.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 135

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back