FOR SALE: Pro-Rider Folding Electric Bike/s

wildebus

NOTE: This is a new updated thread regarding selling my Electric Bike/s with a bit more information and a REDUCED selling price.
Please DO NOT post any replies on this thread that are not relevant to this For Sale listing. No discussions on Trailer Markings, Bike Racks, witty jokes, etc.
If you are interested in the bike and have questions, fine, but this is not a general discussion thread and I would like to keep on track, thank you.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

For Sale here is a purpose-build Folding Electric Bike (rather than a standard bike with an add-on kit)

Reason for sale is we got the two bikes around 4 years ago, but OH (Linda) had an accident with her back a couple of years ago and while it is a lot better, it has affected her balance a bit and she is not happy with the idea of riding a bike and so it is going to sit there unused for ever more if we keep it :(

Pro-Rider E-bikes
by David, on Flickr
Pictures show 2 e-Bikes. They are identical except for the colour and I am showing them both as while it is strictly speaking Linda's RED Bike for sale, if someone wants the bike but would prefer the SILVER one, than that is ok - I will just change from the Silver to the Red (as said, identical bikes apart from colour).
I originally planned to sell just the one bike, but thinking on, it is quite common for someone to want to buy a pair of bikes if they and their OH want to get into cycling or change to e-Bikes, so bearing that in mind, I am open to selling either just the one bike, be it the Red or the Silver one, or both bikes together.

I am asking £300 for one Bike, or £600 if someone wants both bikes. They are available to collect from the East Scottish Borders, close to Kelso.
I should point out that I am not looking to do a deal if someone is wanting both bikes as I will still need to go and buy another e-Bike myself or get a conversion kit if both sell and need to fund that, so I really don't mind if only the one sells.

There is a good review of the eWayfarer Pro-Rider posted on pedalecs here to give you a different owners opinion - https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/pro-rider-e-wayfarer-folding-bike.13743/

For me the key feature of the bike is that it has a twist-throttle that can be used without the need to initially use the pedals to start off, PLUS you can continue to ride the bike on electric power only and there is actually no need to ever pedal the cycle if you don't want to. Obviously if you use the pedals as well you will extend the range, but there is no need to.
NOTE: A law came out regarding twist-throttles e-bikes and after a certain date, to be road-legal, e-bikes had to be pedalled in order to keep electric assistance. This rule is NOT RETROSPECTIVE and bikes sold new prior to this law can be used perfectly legally on the road using the features the bike offers.

The Bikes have a folding frame as well as a folding handlebar and fold-in pedals to give a very compact profile if packing away in a Motorhome garage

Pro-Rider - Folded
by David, on Flickr

These following pictures show one of the bikes folded next to one ready to use to allow a comparison

Pro-Rider - Ready & Folded
by David, on Flickr

Pro-Rider - Ready vs Folded
by David, on Flickr

The Motor is controlled by a very simple and effective handle bar controller. You can select between three different power levels (upto 200W) with a single button that cycles through them, plus an on-off button and a 'fuel gauge' showing the amount of energy left currently in the battery. You control the speed using the twist throttle on the left handlebar... the more you twist, the quicker you go (within reason of course :) ). The throttle is sprung, so if you release it, it reverts back to closed and power is cut, so super-simple and safe. Power is also cut if you apply the brakes so another safety feature there.

Assistance Control and Battery Gauge
by David, on Flickr

There is also of course adjustable Rear Gears that come into play when you are using the pedals, either solely or with electric assistance to ride the bike. This is a Shimano 7-speed derailer like you would find on a regular pedal cycle, but the gear change is so easy to use compared to what someone might be used to on a 'racer' in days gone by. You change gears by either moving the lever or press the button and it will change to the next gear up or down depending which you used and the gear you are in is shown by where the arrow is pointing in the display

Rear Gear Controls
by David, on Flickr

The Battery is a 36V 10Ah Removable with an 'ignition key'. You need to use a key to turn it on, and the same key can be used to put the battery into a 'locked' position which stops anyone removing the battery from the bike.
In terms of capacity, to put this 36V 10Ah battery into context, it has a capacity of 360Wh, which is around the same as a 12V 30Ah Battery, and being a Lithium-Ion Battery, means actually not that far off the usable capacity of a typical 90Ah Lead Acid Leisure Battery.

e-Bike Battery & Charger
by David, on Flickr
The battery charger is an auto-range voltage charger and will work anywhere between 100V-250V AC and the maximum current draw quoted is 1.8A.
Bearing in mind when putting out a given wattage, the maximum current is always pulled at the lowest voltage, so in the UK & Europe you can reckon on a current pull of under 0.8A AC. This means the MAXIMUM power the charger will pull is 180W, so well within the capability of smallish inverters.
When I just plugged it in to my Multiplus to charge the battery, the AC draw recorded was in fact under 100W. At this rate you would be able to recharge the battery from totally flat within 4 hours.

Also included in the sale of the bike (or bikes!) is a 'GIANT' brand Rear Pannier set that can be easily fitted on the Rear Rack that is fitted on the bikes.

'GIANT' Panniers
by David, on Flickr

Pro-Rider - 'GIANT' Panniers in place
by David, on Flickr

Handily, there is also a Kick Stand to save having to either lay the bike on the ground or find something to lean it on.

Pro-Rider - Kick Stand
by David, on Flickr

Out of interest, here is a little Youtube video of a chap in Edinburgh with one of these Pro Riders and runs around in the winter on it and pulls a wee trailer!

Just been checking over the two e-bikes, pumping the tyres, etc and also decided to check out my old Audax bike....

Been quite a few years since I last got my leg over the old girl and a very different experience compared to riding one of the e-bikes. The plan was if I sold both e-Bikes to probably get a conversion kit to turn it into a e-bike (basically a battery, controller and a new front wheel with a hub motor), but I don't think it would be comparable to a purpose-built e-bike like the Pro-Rider.
Not better, not worse, but very different. Just making this comment for anyone who rides a regular large-wheel sports/racer/tourer and wants the same with a bit of extra assistance, the Pro-rider is probably not for them. On the flip side, someone who is looking for a nice comfy bike with a soft saddle, the Pro-Rider will be perfect :)

Separate to this sale, I'm going to have to have a reasonable ride on the old bike and see how I feel about riding it after having got used to the comfort of the Pro-Rider style of bike and if rather than converting it, I should just keep it as standard for the odd ride out and look for a similar bike to the Pro-Rider if both go to the same buyer

Back