flooding in Hereford

We`ll see how fast they start with recommendations for water shortages / hosepipe bans if we get a run of nice weather after easter.

Whilst on the new house building theme where is all the water coming from to supply all the umpteen thousand new houses they are building o_O

We`ll see how fast they start with recommendations for water shortages / hosepipe bans if we get a run of nice weather after easter.

Whilst on the new house building theme where is all the water coming from to supply all the umpteen thousand new houses they are building o_O

Probably be us, I reckon. Kielder water. There's not much heavy industry making demands nowadays. 🙂

Can I just say my thoughts are with everyone who has suffered so terribly here and all over the country.
Other than a serious health issue I can't think of anything much worse than your home being flooded.
These people don't just need our sympathy, they need our help.
And we can't ask insurers to pick up the costs, this requires public intervention.

I have recently moved house and one of the reasons I chose the property I did was it’s high enough and far enough away from water courses flooding wouldn’t be an issue.
We viewed a lovely property near Scone with nice view of the river Tay but being that close to the river put me off although in the houses 100 year plus history it had never flooded is it worth taking the chance? I think not.

Down near Preston Docks, oops sorry, Marina and just off Watery Lane ( wonder why it was named that ? ) were some terraced houses in Swansea Terrace and Beverley Terrace.

Strangely none of them had cellars and you had to go up 3 or 4 steps to get into the houses :unsure:

Back in the early 80`s after they`d been derelict for years they knocked them down, built some brand new houses and called them Swansea Close and Beverley Close.

My brother and his family were one of the first families to move in them after being given first refusal because they`d been compulsory purchased for the bypass being extended right into Preston centre.

He was like a dog with two dicks and took great delight in showing us round his brand new ultra modern house with all the mod cons.

Instantly me and the wife knew there would be problems because they`d built all these brand new houses at ground level instead of building them up like the old terraced houses used to be but my brother didn`t want to know and accused us of just being jealous which i have to admit we slightly were but deep down we knew there would be .................. trouble ahead ......................... as they say o_O

The following winter after some terrible weather combined with very high tides they flooded like mad and had a good 12 - 18 inch of water in them.

The area still floods today despite having millions spends on storm drains and flood defences but nothing like it used to.

Lot of flooding could be prevented if they dredged all the rivers like they used to do, to make them deeper, so that they could handle a larger volume of water, they have become Silted up, hence why so many breach there banks now, the entrance to Fleetwood marina and Stannah slipway on the river wyre is more silted than it has ever been, giving you less of a window for leaving and arriving at the marina.

This was getting talked about on radio two yesterday ,a flood victim also thought they should go on with the h s train as we are getting left behind compared to other coyntries but the next caller stated that rivers which were problematic with adverse weather since being dredged have not burst their banks since the operation was done, they reckon it should be put back into motion ,may not cure all but would certainly help imho

This was getting talked about on radio two yesterday ,a flood victim also thought they should go on with the h s train as we are getting left behind compared to other coyntries but the next caller stated that rivers which were problematic with adverse weather since being dredged have not burst their banks since the operation was done, they reckon it should be put back into motion ,may not cure all but would certainly help imho
Here Here

Im building my new home on the elsa grag near scotland just beside boris j new road bridge from scotlant to ulster. no chance of flood water.
castle.png

It seems to be a tradition in the UK to put bedrooms on the top floor instead of kitchen,dining,lounge,I can almost guarantee all the flooded house will be rebuilt in exactly the same way. At least with all services upstairs they would still be livable until bedrooms are rebuilt downstairs,and a lot cheaper.
Some people's properties have been flooded several times but they don't seem to bother changing the lay out.

i once lived in The Ship in Mortlake before the barrier was built, in 1953 the bar was about a metre deep , and if the locals wanted a pint, they had to wear waders if they were bothered about getting wet, shorts if they weren't .i remember seeing people swimming up to the bar . the rowing club in the garden could float their shells out the gate, across the road and onto the Thames ,which they had a lot of fun doing . considering the pub was up some steps , the road sloped down to the river and the retaining wall was about 5 foot high, it must have been pretty deep . locals knew they'd be flooded and all furniture and carpets were taken upstairs at the first sign of the river rising. as a 4 year old ,i was of course allowed to go out and play in the water. 2 of my sisters were rescued from the river ,one by a copper who saw her in the water from Chiswick Bridge,and got a medal ,and i went under once and was lucky enough to bump into some stone steps and save myself . the people who lived on the islands moved out lock stock and barrel every season
rivers can be a bit dodgy

The problem is the water companies have been taking rates from all these new homes without providing the new resources to provide the basic commodity and just pocket the money.

It seems to be a tradition in the UK to put bedrooms on the top floor instead of kitchen,dining,lounge,I can almost guarantee all the flooded house will be rebuilt in exactly the same way. At least with all services upstairs they would still be livable until bedrooms are rebuilt downstairs,and a lot cheaper.
Some people's properties have been flooded several times but they don't seem to bother changing the lay out.

Livable? What about power?

It also works with central heating as heat rises so bedrooms are colder that 21c,they should be 18c,so room stat upstairs in main room.

Solar panels on the roof and maybe a wind turbine.

A wind turbine anywhere near Hereford recently would have flown away & ended up somewhere north of Birmingham. :eek:

Someone asked the owner of our local mill last weekend if he'd tried running the (water) mill. The look on his face was a picture.

It also works with central heating as heat rises so bedrooms are colder that 21c,they should be 18c,so room stat upstairs in main room.
Use the cellars as bedrooms ! that way you get a "water bed".
But more seriously Bedrooms just above ground level with Leccy sockets (thus wiring) @ waist height (also easier to use). Know which fuses/RCD serve the downstairs circuits. You also get a nicer view from upstairs (sometimes !)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back