First time driving to Spain

pl1980

Morning all, we are taking EuroTunnel tomorrow evening and planning to drive all France up to Spain through Saturday. Any suggestions, what’s best way (motorway) time and price wise? What’s best place to late overnight stop on the way to Girona/Barcelona? Thank you

Here's a map so you can plan...

The Spanish government have slowly been getting rid of toll roads so we seldom pay tolls in Spain when we go in winter as there are many A roads which shadow the motorways and are free.

Morning all, we are taking EuroTunnel tomorrow evening and planning to drive all France up to Spain through Saturday. Any suggestions, what’s best way (motorway) time and price wise? What’s best place to late overnight stop on the way to Girona/Barcelona? Thank you
You appear to have tight schedule in which place quicker to use French toll roads .
This site and WEBSITE BLOCKED BY ADMIN/search for sites has loads of stopping places .
When doing long drive in limited time I usually stop at motorway services . Some will advise against that but , in 10 years , never had a problem

Yep as GMJ says, motorway from French border all the way down to Alicante is now toll free. A good stop over just before crossing the French/Spanish border is, Maureillas las Illas. Stayed there on the way back end of June. Really helpful owner. Get your fuel off the motorway networks as a lot cheaper.

Google maps put in Your start point and your destination tick allow tolls and choose your route simple as that. An as Alcam I,ve used motorway service stops for overnight never had any problems but fuels a lot cheaper at supermarkets an most of them have hugh carparks good for overnight as well

i frequently overnight on motorway services but usually on toll roads , through france you can take 14/15 hrs driving no tolls and 10 hrs with tolls , personally i prefer to pay up & cruise on motorways for two days rather than fight innumerable roundabouts for 3 days each to their own

What's the hurry..?
That's a big ask, unless you're a trucker.
Remember, your motorhome is a leisure vehicle.
We used to plan to drive 2 stay 2.
Decide if you want to use boring motorways or explore the bye ways and back roads.
Overnight stops..
No problems in France. If you can't find a place on this website.. P.O.I.s, just pull into any small town and you can park up wherever you feel safe
and quiet..
That's what the thousands of French motorhomers do.
Bon journee..!

Thank you all, yes I’m trucker and have only one week off this time. We are planning to see our Spanish friend in Valencia on Sunday afternoon. Do some activities up to Thursday in Spain, then on way back it will be slow and more stops (wineyards).

We used to go to Valencia regulary. We went down to Pau through the Somport Tunnel. After Jaca it is basically dual carriageway which leads you to the A23 which is motorway all the way to Valencia. French border to Valencia took us easily 1 day. We had a good stop just past Zarragoza for the night ( if you want a night stop) just off the motorway, very quiet, birth place of Goya called Fuendetodos
Some nice aires just after Pau on the way to Somport Tunnel too.
PJ

We don't use the tolls as we find them expensive for the amount of time saved, so we like to meander through the beautiful French towns, I don't know how true it is, but if you have a high van and go through the unmanned gates you will be charged commercial rates, so aim for the manned booths to get the private vehicle rates.

Why not use Google maps to give you route options?

There is now a nationwide 80km speed limit on roads that are not dual carriageways or motorways, and many towns and villages have 30km or even 20km limits so any route that does not include a high proportion of dual carriageways or motorways can be slow going.

My favoured route from Paris down to Valencia speed wise has to include the A71 and the A75. Probably popular with Newhaven Dieppe ferry users.

The western Pau route suggested above by pamjon is one of the options Google maps offers.

Last edited:
Why not use Google maps to give you route options?

There is now a nationwide 80km speed limit on roads that are not dual carriageways or motorways, and many towns and villages have 30km or even 20km limits so any route that does not include a high proportion of dual carriageways or motorways can be slow going.

My favoured route from Paris down to Valencia speed wise has to include the A71 and the A75. Probably popular with Newhaven Dieppe ferry users.

The western Pau route suggested above by pamjon is one of the options Google maps offers.
The nationwide 80km/h was relaxed some considerable time ago and each département is now free to return some or all single carriageway open roads to 90km/h. Can get a bit confusing, particularly when satnav data is not bang up to date.

The nationwide 80km/h was relaxed some considerable time ago and each département is now free to return some or all single carriageway open roads to 90km/h. Can get a bit confusing, particularly when satnav data is not bang up to date.

The head of the French safety department says:-​

“How can I tell if the road is 80km/h or 90km/h?

Benoît Hiron, who leads the safety department at CEREMA (Centre d’études et d’expertise sur les risques, l’environnement, la mobilité et l’aménagement), told France Culture that the “80km/h rule applies to the whole network unless there is a sign indicating an exception.”

“Departments have the possibility to choose another speed limit for certain sections of road, as long as they signal it.

“If in doubt, opt for 80km/h as your default.” “

So if no sign indicates 90km then 80km it is.

An interesting French average speed survey suggests that the French are disregarding the mix of limits and maintaining the same average speeds now as before when limits were higher. The claim is accidents have actually increased in 80km areas as overtaking of slower vehicles has increased resulting in more risk taking and consequential accidents.

I must admit that when I encounter slow motorhomes, I instruct Mrs Moped to tell me when the road is clear.

Not an issue of course on dual carriageways and motorways which will form the major part of the fast route down to Valencia. Mrs Moped even takes a turn to drive on these roads!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back