Filling Up

hemlock

Hi to all,
I'm new to the site and fairly new to wildcamping.

What little wild camping I have done in this country has been the odd night in between stays at Certificated Sites so filling with water has not been a problem.

I was just wondering what other people do about refilling fresh water when going wild for days on end.

Disposing of grey waste hasn't been a problem as you can just empty it down the nearest drain(well it's no worse than the water you wash your car with). The toilet cassette I have emptied in Public Toilets when needed.

That just leaves water. I did two weeks in France and there are so many Aires that you can fill up every day no problem (we like our showers).

Do garages mind you helping yourself to 50 litres of water and is it safe to drink? What do you think of CCC sites charging £4.50 to fill up and use their shower block?

I would be interested to hear your views.

Martin Hemlock

It's a small world but I wouldn't like to dust it!

hi,
either a very long hose or 2 / 5 gallon cotainers and any cemetry your passing ,,theres nearly always a tap handy and always straight off the mains

mick

not heard of the cemetetary one but a good idea. we always use the supermarket's for fuel and water and never had a problem with it.
but then who would argue when you are putting 47 litres of fuel in :D
some of them are very slow fillers though. another place is locks. they usually have a fire hose there but always ask the lockkeepers permission first.
like carman we also carry a long length of the flat hose. it takes little space but I can pull up to loo's and attach hose to fill my tanks. I also have an empty 25ltre container.
Mind you when we are up in scotland we always use lochwater for washing us and especially our hair. It really leaves you refreshed and your hair [what I've got left] soft. we have a kettle we keep just for that and don't mix them.

something we should all be aware of

the rules have changed in eu countries
spain now requires you to have 2 warning triangles as well as the first aid kit bulbs and stuff.
Spain, Italy, Germany and France now require you to have High viz waiscoats to hand in case of breakdown on the motorways. there is a eu standard and there is a large fine if you don't have them TO HAND ie in the front not buried in the boot.
hate to say it but I think for once they have had a good idea.

i have ordered mine from a friend. unfortunately the cheque did not arrive. that's the third time in 4 months that the PO has lost mail I have sent. Can't wait to get these other companies delivering the mail.

all i carry is one hose which is about 4m long and one, 1m long and a watering can. so i can fill the van from anywhere there is a tap it works very well. i may have to walk abit so it keeps me fit. and one bucket. so i can empty the van at public toilets. but only if clean and i leave them clean yours fattimmy javascript:emoticon(':D')
smilie

Attachments

• DSCF0361.jpg
    DSCF0361.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCF0351.jpg
    DSCF0351.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 191
all i carry is one hose which is about 4m long and one, 1m long and a watering can. so i can fill the van from anywhere there is a tap it works very well. i may have to walk abit so it keeps me fit. and one bucket. so i can empty the van at public toilets. but only if clean and i leave them clean yours fattimmy and 4.50 to service the van and have a shower i dont think anyone should complain money well spent ohw wants to bath in a bl**dy cold loch or river i dont.

We always carry a seperate container for any water we don't think is drinking water and keep it for washing.Some public toilets have a drinking water tap Sometimes you can find waterat a port.Once you start looking there are more places to get water than you think.I agree with Roi about Scotland we've drunk water off the mountains that is nicer and cleaner than from any tap.

most harbours have drinking water taps available for the boats and Ive used those a few times too but mainly the garages. only ever been refused once. so i stopped filling up the fuel tank too. then i told him that my tank holds 70 litres which i would have bought from him but as he wouldn't let me have water he could keep his petrol. went a few miles and found another gge, asked and was given permission so I fuelled up too.

we carry around 70 litres of tank water and also buy 5 x 5 litres from places such as aldi in spain at around e.40c pretty cheap i think and there are quite a few springs on your travels we also carry a flat hose and empty water bottles and have also filled at service stations and have never had a problem.. i dont bother with the watering can as the main tank is only under the seats. i dont seethe point of struggling filling via the water filler when you can gain access via the tank direct

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back