Fill ups

are you joking about putting cooking oil in the tank ,if not how much in a full tank?????????
Mix as above, 28 sec heating oil 20 ltrs and 1.5 ltrs of cooking oil, its illegal mind you and will not work on some common rail engines ;)

I use liquid molly once a month in the diesel works wonders for injectors
I also use vinegar mixed in water for radiator after being told it prolongs life of thermostat and cleans rust inside engine
Antifreeze does the same and is best.

I was always told to avoid buying that 'driven by an old lady' car and every now and again give it a damn good thrashing! IOW traet it like grans NOT in the car/van and pretend your Lewis Hamilton every now and again. If nothing else it makes you feel 17 again!! YeeeeeeeeeHa!!View attachment 89535
Years ago, I bought a 2L Triumph Vitesse convertible. It was 6 years old with less than 15,000 miles on the clock. The engine was perfect, a 6 cylinder petrol running on 5 star. It was owned by a local elderly couple and was like new.
But, after just a few hundred miles, I had to replace all the universal joints (6) and most of the suspension bushing. Because of its lack of use, none of these items had been lubricated properly and water had got into the bushes.
Not long after that, I had to have all the brakes overhauled.
I would never buy a low mileage,driven by a little old lady car, again.

Just stick a tank of V power/etc in now and again.... Supermarket fuel is supplied by the same depots as main brand stuff BUT it doesn't have all the bells and whistles additives wise.

are you joking about putting cooking oil in the tank ,if not how much in a full tank?????????
Depends on the engine if it is compatible with cooking oil. Lots of older diesel engines work fine with cooking oil - the problems can be with the pumps (the rubber used on Lucas pumps will perish if cooking oil is used, Bosch pumps are fine).
I used to use 100% Cooking Oil in my VW T4 in the summertime. In Winter it was 100% Diesel, and in-between ran a mix (the colder it is, the thicker it becomes so needs reducing as temp is cooler).
Cooking oil has a knock-on effect in terms of cleaning which may or may be desirable .... it cleans the tank and can dislodge years and years of residual muck and that can get into the system, so yes it cleans, but you might need to change the fuel filter frequently after you change (I changed the filter on the T4 every couple of months as a precaution but it waa a 10 minute job and new ones only cost a couple of quid so that was fine)

PS. Heating oil not legal to use as a road fuel but Cooking Oil - whether used or fresh - is 100% legal to use without any kind of license upto a certain amount (and that amount is likely to be fine for most leisure users).

Years ago, I bought a 2L Triumph Vitesse convertible. It was 6 years old with less than 15,000 miles on the clock. The engine was perfect, a 6 cylinder petrol running on 5 star. It was owned by a local elderly couple and was like new.
But, after just a few hundred miles, I had to replace all the universal joints (6) and most of the suspension bushing. Because of its lack of use, none of these items had been lubricated properly and water had got into the bushes.
Not long after that, I had to have all the brakes overhauled.
I would never buy a low mileage,driven by a little old lady car, again.

I read recently that after a long drive, you should never park your van up straight away.
The grease in the wheel bearing will still be hot, and could accumulate in the bottom of the bearings. Over the Winter, moisture could enter the bearings, and cause the bearings to rust.
The day after your long drive, when the bearings have cooled down, run the van around the block, to evenly distribute the grease again. Now the van can be parked for weeks without concern.

Depends on the engine if it is compatible with cooking oil. Lots of older diesel engines work fine with cooking oil - the problems can be with the pumps (the rubber used on Lucas pumps will perish if cooking oil is used, Bosch pumps are fine).
I used to use 100% Cooking Oil in my VW T4 in the summertime. In Winter it was 100% Diesel, and in-between ran a mix (the colder it is, the thicker it becomes so needs reducing as temp is cooler).
Cooking oil has a knock-on effect in terms of cleaning which may or may be desirable .... it cleans the tank and can dislodge years and years of residual muck and that can get into the system, so yes it cleans, but you might need to change the fuel filter frequently after you change (I changed the filter on the T4 every couple of months as a precaution but it waa a 10 minute job and new ones only cost a couple of quid so that was fine)

PS. Heating oil not legal to use as a road fuel but Cooking Oil - whether used or fresh - is 100% legal to use without any kind of license upto a certain amount (and that amount is likely to be fine for most leisure users).
Problem is if using straight it requires a preheater.

I read recently that after a long drive, you should never park your van up straight away.
The grease in the wheel bearing will still be hot, and could accumulate in the bottom of the bearings. Over the Winter, moisture could enter the bearings, and cause the bearings to rust.
The day after your long drive, when the bearings have cooled down, run the van around the block, to evenly distribute the grease again. Now the van can be parked for weeks without concern.
Im ok all mine are hubs part filled with 80/90 gear oil.

Does anybody know if HVO fuel is available to the general public, or what the price per litre is?

Whats HVO - tax free red diesel?

I don't know much about it but it has been vied as a cleaner alternative to normal diesel. I expect it will be more expensive though.

• Thank You
Reactions: mfw
I don't know much about it but it has been vied as a cleaner alternative to normal diesel. I expect it will be more expensive though.

Glad i asked i initially assumed HVO meant heavy vehicle oil - diggers and similar that can use tax free fuel

Its a pound a litre and more here, not worth doing unless a mix with 28 sec.
Buy from wholesalers and cash & carries.

Also, cooking oil as road fuel is totally 100% Legal. 28Sec Kerosene is 100% Illegal. So mixing with 28 Sec is not worth doing at all.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back