Fiat

helen.dipn

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out on this one as I'm a newbie to motorhomes. I bought mine back in october 06 lunar champ on fiat ducato chassis. I was told by the dealer that I had a 3 yr warranty with the vehicle. When I telephoned fiat the other day to book it in fro a service as i had a sticker on the cab window with the next service date on, they told me the vehicle was an import and the warranty had just expired. On my V5 doc it says the vehicle was 1st registered in may 06 and not march 06 as they are stating. This is really confusing me as it doesnt say on my V5 that the vehicle is an import and I wasnt told that on purchase. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of issue??

Would appreciate any enlightenment.

Many Thanks

Hel

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out on this one as I'm a newbie to motorhomes. I bought mine back in october 06 lunar champ on fiat ducato chassis. I was told by the dealer that I had a 3 yr warranty with the vehicle. When I telephoned fiat the other day to book it in fro a service as i had a sticker on the cab window with the next service date on, they told me the vehicle was an import and the warranty had just expired. On my V5 doc it says the vehicle was 1st registered in may 06 and not march 06 as they are stating. This is really confusing me as it doesnt say on my V5 that the vehicle is an import and I wasnt told that on purchase. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of issue??

Would appreciate any enlightenment.

Many Thanks

Hel
I dont have any experience but i do know that if you don't have it in writing i cant see that you have a leg to stand on, you could try talkiing to the person that sold you the van in the first place.
Good Luck.

As far as I now you get 12 months warranty with fiat base and 3 year with conversion from NEW. If brought second hand say the van is 14 months old you should get the remainder of the conversion warranty and the dealer that sold you the van will give you a minimum of 3 months warranty for your fiat base but usually offer you more but may charge you:eek:

Cost nothing to ring them and ask:D:D

Been there, done that!!

Fiat chassis now have 2yr w/tee, that's the first thing, secondly unless the body builder/converter pays Fiat a small fee to 'defere the warantee' then Fiat start it on their computer when they sell the chassis.

You have to take your V5 to your local dealer with the handbook which states "Your warantee is for two years from DATE OF REGISTRATION".

However the V5 MUST state in the little box at the bottom of the front page "New at time of import" or similar. It's this phrase that tells Fiat that the vehicle was NEW when it came into the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had all this trouble over a £9.06 reverse light switch... imagine trying to make a claim for a £2000 engine blow-up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My dealer has only just started covering motorhomes so didn't realise the inplications of an Italian manufacturer selling to a French body builder a European chassis that ends up in the UK 9mths later!!

Good luck, any problems get back to me (4ths later I am still badgering the dealer to give me a letter confirming that their contact at Fiat Slough HQ HAS got the date amended with Fiat Italy!) And I thought the French were slow!

Thank you for your response and you do seem to be spot on.
I telephoned Fiat again and they want to see my V5 doc and said they will look into from there to see if the warranty can be extended.

Many thanks

Good luck Helen, remember to take your handbook - it's there in black & white "Warentee of 2years starts from date of registration" That's it really, their only get out is if the V5 DOESN'T say 'new at time of import'. Then you have a problem, I really can't believe Fiat haven't come across this problem; afteral EVERY car that comes in to the UK gets it's warentee from when it's registered NOT when it's made or imported and some models must hang around for a while!!

I had the same (nearly) problem. I read a post on a forum about someone who had bought a M/H on a Renault that as an import i.e. a R/H drive but supplied in Europe to a converter in Europe then sold as new over here it only had a 2 year warranty. He had found out that by contacting Renault U.K he had managed to get a 1 year extension to the warranty, by sending a copy of the purchace reciept (dealer), log book, and service book. I rang Renault U.K and found out I could do the same. Within a couple of weeks a nice Lady from Renault rang to inform me my details had been amended and that my warranty now ran to march 2009, hang on a minute I said, I purchased my Van in July...... Yes but It was supplied from Renault to the converter in March.......... It then transpired that my first service was due in March not July as I had assumed......... If I had not known any of this and just waited until July and say I had a major fault develop in May or June ...... Guess what . I would have negated the Warranty by not having it serviced within 30 days of March 13th....... All this I found out by reading a post....... My van is booked in for first service on Tuesday........ Phew...... SO should your Dealer tell you all this..... I think they should or bear the consequences, but I doubt they would.

Helen, Just had a phone call this morning to say Fiat Italy & UK have now amended their data base to show my correct start date!! (and as yet my local dealer STILL hasn't been paid for the job - as Fiat UK thought it was outside the date!!).

So that's from the 22nd November 2006 until the 20th March 2008... and of course I've yet to receive it in writting!!!!!!!!!

Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back