Fiat engine chip

David & Ann

I wonder if any of you guys could advise me!! I have a 2002 standard Fiat 2.8 diesel engine. 1) Is it worth having it chipped so I get more pulling power up hills. 2) Will it give me more MPH on the flat? 3) Will my fuel comsumtion increase? 4) Is it bad for the engine in the long run. 5) How much will it cost me to have it done. My thanks and appreciation for your advice.

Fiat engine

Hi,

I am surprised that you should need a chip. We have a 1999
2.8 turbo diesel running our Murvi Morello. Currently just passed 115,000 and goes like a dream. Top speed is mid 90s

Fiat engine

Hi,

I am surprised that you should need a chip. We have a 1999
2.8 turbo diesel running our Murvi Morello. Currently just passed 115,000 and goes like a dream. Top speed is mid 90s
and fuel consumption from day one is 35mpg, including the Eberspacher heating. Pulling power in all gears is very good.

I accept that our panel van is light compared to a coachbuilt, but I would check out the engine was running o.k. before
spending money out. Dezi

I have a pretty low mileage engine, 39000 miles only. Had a complete check and it is in tip top condition. When I am fully loaded I have a problem climbing the Swiss alps. My top speed is 165 kms an hour, though I don't ever do that. I run at 100 to 110km on the highway. I don't like to go over 2500 revs when changing gears, that is when I feel it not pulling to good on climbs.

Last edited:
We also have 2.8 engine and i find there is enough power:D

However if you have a chip there seems to be no problems with engines
I don't no bhp of the 2.8 unit and i don.t no what extra power you will
get. The faster you go the more the cost will be thats for sure.

David & Anne, I fitted one of the add on type boxes, I was rather sceptical of the claims as I am a fully qualified motor engineer, however I know from my time spend running the exhaust emmissions lab for ERA and later Aston Martin that once you've tuned for power you then back off slightly for economy and then you have the task of trying to meet the current exhaust emmision requirements.

Anyway in answer to your question, I've never tried the motorhome flat out so can't comment on top speed, however there's a hill near me on the way to work that if I hit it at 55mph I'm down to 45mph at the top (should really change down!) with the chip box which only takes 2mins to fit to the fuel rail I am now doing 48/49mph at the top! So there's a REAL improvement to torque.

The vehicle now runs a LOT smoother at the lower revs, at the time when you would change down as it starts to labour; you can now run even slower making it a lot more relaxed in town and can hold a higher gear for longer.

Fuel comsumption is unchanged, I did think if you didn't use the extra power then there could be a gain in F/C but I've not seen it. (I get 24mpg using it on short trips to work and back, and 27-29mpg on normal runs if that helps).

Like others have said, I was surprised at the lack of power from a 2.8jdi but the dealer said mine was the largest motorhome made before they then fitted the lower 5th gear due to complaints about maintaining motorway speeds when laden, also THEY recommended re-chipping as they now make a 2.8 hi-power which is 160hp - 127hp std. My chip box maker states 152hp which seems a fair claim.

It was an end of line ebay bargain... £37!!!!!!!!! So if you can get a box for a reasonable price then I would FULLY recommended it, but make sure it's an adjustable one! (Chap at work bought a non-adjustable one off ebay for a 1.9tdi Passat and although it went like poo off a shovel it mis-fired at low revs!). Come back to me if you need further help/advice - Good luck!

In theory an engine chip should give you more MPG, as it should give you more torque and that in turn should make your engine produce the same power at less revs.
I was quoted a couple of hundred quid for one to be fitted, so it would take a fair few miles to recoup this money, as i cant see it making a huge amount of extra mileage to the gallon.... maybe 1 or 2 miles at the most.
If i was disappointed with the power on my van then i'd probably have it done, but my 2.3 JTD on a high top panel van is a flyer anyway.

My sincere thanks to all you folks for your feed backs. Like I said my engine is a STANDARD fiat engine with 128hp. I carry a lot of weight when on tour and do a lot of Swiss alping with the MH. Hence the reason for more power. With all your help, I have to decide the best way to go about it. Thanks again.

See if you can get hold of an engine graph that shows the HP, torque, fuel consumption and engine revs.

You need to match your driving style to the manufacturers design of how THEY intended the vehicle to be driven.

Ideally with a high torque rise diesel engine you should try and drive at engine revs between where maximum torque comes in and maximum horsepower comes in (the gap is called the torque rise in laymans terms). Maximum fuel consumption will come in close to maximum horsepower, so the most fuel efficient rev range is usually a few hundred rpm above maximum torque.

Climbing mountains changes your driving style a bit - changing down you need to skip a gear eg 5th to 3rd so that you can maintain engine revs close to maximum horsepower, but you can let the engine "lug" down to just above maximum torque before the change down.

Accerlating is also different, you should progressively increase the engine revs in each gear, for example only; first gear you increase revs to just below max torque, 2nd gear 200rpm above max torque, 3rd gear 400rpm and so on. Obviously accelerating up steep hills needs you to get close to max HP.

Modifying any engine always has some effects - increasing HP and torque can be quite harmless if the engine was over engineered in the first place. If the engine design started out its life as a 2.2litre in 1985 and was a 2.8l in 1998 you could expect it to be at the limit of power and reliability improvements. Its not just the engine that cops it with power increases - dont forget the clutch, gearbox and driveline all have to cope with those increases. The older the vehicle the less able those components are to cope long term.

speed is not the issue
i would think more MPG is realy what one would want from a chiping the engine
at the least to recoup the cash spent

speed is not the issue
i would think more MPG is realy what one would want from a chiping the engine
at the least to recoup the cash spent
I can see where David & Ann is coming from here, I have the 2.5tdi (1998) and a bit more driveability up and down mountains would be a godsend. I wouldn't dream of chipping an engine on a motorhome for more speed, just not having to lose as much speed and consequently not agitating following traffic would be a good enough reason.
Having said that the 2.5tdi pulling 3.5tonnes and a trailer does cope far better than my last unit a 2.0 petrol pulling 3 tonnes.
Regards Tony

Tony has hit the nail on the head. It is not the speed. At 66, I have gone passed that stage. It is the pulling power, especially up the Alps. I always go the long way round to Spain, through the Alps. It is breath taking. Got to remember, mine is a standard engine, no turbo, hence my thoughts are on the chip. Question is, what is the right sort and the costs and who is the best people who will do it without being ripped off. I am based in Cornwall.

I have just had a quote on the phone, to have an ECU mapping chip, will be £425 to £475.
Is this about right price wise?

I have just had a quote on the phone, to have an ECU mapping chip, will be £425 to £475.
Is this about right price wise?

Ouch, that seems a bit pricy to me. I would try and get some other quotes and look online in forums that are talking about engine chips.

Hi all, interesting post and to add my four penn'orth...........
My present vehicle is a 1996 Fiat 2.5 Turbo with chip (fitted by the previous owner) and 90,000km on the clock and the previous one a 1995 Fiat 2.5 Turbo - no chip and 112,000km. So I can make a pretty direct comparison.

There's no question that the current vehicle is more responsive and therefore much more relaxing to drive. Like most of you I'm not interested in top speed but I do now know that if I want to overtake I can without having to take account of the hill up ahead and wondering if I'll make it without causing problems behind. There is a slight penalty in fuel consumption and a lot of black smoke on the odd occasion I floor the pedal. On a recent 5,500km trip through Italy and Greece (vehicle laden) I averaged 23mpg. I seem to recall the previous vehicle was 25mpg-ish. I don't consider either of those figures brilliant but they are a valid comparison.

Hope that helps.
Dave.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back