fiat ducato tyres 215/70/15 wanted

hi my trusted motorhomers,can anyone help me?i am after 2 tyres for the motorhome the size of them is 215/70/15 dave had a quote from a local company who quoted £66 each fitted & this was for mid range quality tyre,i thought this was a good price but does anyone know of any cheaper?any help would be much appreciated, thanks samm :)

i would think that is a good price for any tire. be carfull what you buy though i've had some cheaper tyres on my car and took em off cos they handled as if they were on an ice rink, you have to remember your van will be not far off its weight limit when you are out and about in it and a good set of tyres is very important.
regards tony

tyres

I agree with walker ,cheap tyres no good usually.Go for quality ,specially on a large exspensive vehicle that you are going to be using.BE SAFE dont cut corners. The old saying you only get what you pay for.Happy motoring.

tyres

sammclouis said:
hi my trusted motorhomers,can anyone help me?i am after 2 tyres for the motorhome the size of them is 215/70/15 dave had a quote from a local company who quoted £66 each fitted & this was for mid range quality tyre,i thought this was a good price but does anyone know of any cheaper?any help would be much appreciated, thanks samm :)

I sam please dont skimp on tyres, I use Michelin's yes I know they are dear you will get 20000 miles out of them ( fronts ). I was advised to swop back
for front after 10000 mls. I think I payed £125 at garage by the volvo centre
Hardy tyres at stafford park 1 TEL 01952 290202. You will have to order them
good look :D

ok sound advice thanks guys,i will shop around for a better quality tyre but money is a bit tight at the mo so might go for mid range quality as opposed to budget :eek: samm

if you are going for mid range it might be as wise to put any better tyres off the back on the front of the vehicle, we all know money can be tight at times but your safety and that of other road users is important, good luck sam hope you find a decent set for a good price.
i have the bill for the tyres on my van that someone else bought before i got it and at half price they were over £50 each a few years ago they are on a ducato too prob same size as yours.

walkers said:
if you are going for mid range it might be as wise to put any better tyres off the back on the front of the vehicle, we all know money can be tight at times but your safety and that of other road users is important, good luck sam hope you find a decent set for a good price.
i have the bill for the tyres on my van that someone else bought before i got it and at half price they were over £50 each a few years ago they are on a ducato too prob same size as yours.
thanks walkers for that,i know i will be paying over £50 each,i did look on ebay at these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/215-70-15-PIR...oryZ9891QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem but they are 2nd hand!do you think that would be ok ???

they look ok sam but you do have to remember they have been used, noone realy knows what sort of life they have had, i would ask proffesional advice before fitting secondhand, but i don't see any problem with recycling as long as there is no damage to the tyres

:confused: you will also have to factor in fitting and balancing and of course disposal of your old tyres could work out just as costly

Graham...
I, personally, would always rather have a rear tyre blow out than a front one so I would always put the better tyres on the front, It may be different with an articulated vehicle but with a rigid vehicle, especially a front drive one, where ever you steer is where the vehicle will head, unless the driver is too slow to react to the blowout!

Just my personal preferences and not scientific at all! :D

ok thanks people i will ask advice at the tyre place & see what they say regarding the tyres,i will opt for a better make,will cut the wine out for a week i could afford a great set then...:p :D :D :D joking,im not a wino...honest :rolleyes:

***** the reason (not from science) that i suggest putting the best tyre on the front is quite simple it takes all the stresses associated with steering and drive the rears trail i see what you are saying about the rear end it iis more heavy but not subjected to as much turning and no driving stress, my opinion and the way i have always replaced tyres but if a tyre expert says differently i will bow to his knowledge

Tyres

I had a rear tyre blow out in Spain last July. I didn't even know I had a blow out until Ann told me smoke was coming from the rear. I did hear a loud contineous noise but thought a juggernaut was trying to overtake me. Point is, my MH followed a straight line and no tell tales on the steering wheel. I was doing a good speed at the time, 60 mph. Cause of flat, front tyre clipped a stone and sent it flying, hit the side wall of rear tyre with such force it blew it.

cipro said:
I sam please dont skimp on tyres, I use Michelin's yes I know they are dear you will get 20000 miles out of them ( fronts ). I was advised to swop back
for front after 10000 mls. I think I payed £125 at garage by the volvo centre
Hardy tyres at stafford park 1 TEL 01952 290202. You will have to order them
good look :D

Only 20.000 miles out of a set of tyres what an earth do you do with your motorhome? I'm just coming up to 46000 miles on my van and there is still plenty of tread left on. I never swop tyres around.
I'll be interested in your coments.

Don

Don Madge said:
Only 20.000 miles out of a set of tyres what an earth do you do with your motorhome? I'm just coming up to 46000 miles on my van and there is still plenty of tread left on. I never swop tyres around.

Don
what make are they mate?how much each are they around,cheers sam :)

sammclouis said:
what make are they mate?how much each are they around,cheers sam :)

Hi Sam

Goodyear Cargos G 26 on the van from new, four years old in June.

Will be replacing them with same later in the year so we will be ready for the winter trip in January.

Have not checked prices yet.

Don

Tyres

I use Continental tyres, 195/75R/C16. They should last 40000 miles + or at least 4 years, which ever comes first. I read somewhere even if a tyre has never been used, it should not be used after 4 years due the rubber deterioration, how far that is true, I am not sure.
Are you back Don, or hitting the keyboard on the Spainish coast?

Don Madge said:

Don

Hi Don Madge 46000 miles wow thats brill however what weight are you carrying I would be interested in make and size and also Ive been told that tyres have a life span as well as a tread wear span as the walls of the tyres
start to crack and I think that is why they swop them round, to get as much WEAR out of them before the LIFE span damage kicks in:) :)

Don Madge said:
Hi Sam

Goodyear Cargos G 26 on the van from new, four years old in June.

Will be replacing them with same later in the year so we will be ready for the winter trip in January.

Have not checked prices yet.

Don
will pass info onto hubby thanks don madge,samm :D

cipro said:
Hi Don Madge 46000 miles wow thats brill however what weight are you carrying I would be interested in make and size and also Ive been told that tyres have a life span as well as a tread wear span as the walls of the tyres
start to crack and I think that is why they swop them round, to get as much WEAR out of them before the LIFE span damage kicks in:) :)

Hi Cipro,

I have to confess this is the first time in 25 years I've had to buy tyres for a motor home. Two reasons, we have never had a motorhome longer than 4 years and I can get 50.000 miles out of a set.

I've got Goodyear Cargos G26 205/70 R15C 106/104R on at the moment and the van MAM is 3500kg but we usually run at about 3400kgs with tyre pressures at Front 56PSI and rear 62 PSI.

Having done 46.000 miles I would like to replace them with the same. The brake pads will need replacing at the same time.

As we use our van all year we don't have the problems of the tyres being damaged by being parked up for months on end. I think the recommended life of a tyre is five years I certainly would not want a tyre over that age on my van.

I've been driving now for 55 years and in my later working life I was involved with driver training/testing, after that experience I do tend to take things at a more leisurely pace these days. Being in my mid seventies I've noticed my reactions are not what they used to be.

If anybody knows a dealer in East Yorkshire where I can get a good deal on Goodyear tyres and brake pads it would be appreciated.

Don

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back