external silver screeens ?

wallacengromit

Hi all,

ive just had a week away in the new forest and it was sooo cold inside :(.... so I was thinking of getting some external silver screens , have seen some that have zips on so the windscreen rolls down..how good are they ? ive got a ford transit duetto , big question is -will they make a difference ?

Thanks

jo

i use them

on my fiat afraid they cost about £60 but an exelent investment they stop the condensation better than internal ones and they dont mark the screen with sucker marks so no cleaning of the inside of the screen in the mornings the top half folds down (velcro strips )if you intend to stay for a few days in one place
easy to fit 2 mins just hook on the doors
i have removed the ties that are provided and replaced them with velcro as i found tying laces a bit alkward especialy with cold hands
but beware when they are wet you have to store them wet we just use a large plastic bag to store them in and dry them over a hedge or wall when its conveinent
they wont rot so if they are wet for a few days it wont harm them

wallacengrommit

I have had a set of fiamma external screens on my van ,and they worked very well,certainly made a difference inside and out.

We bought a set of Fiamma internal screens which were OK but tended to lead to condensation on the windscreen. We also bought a Fiamma external screen cover made of white plastic (not padded) but found it not to be of much use. Both of these, of course, have to be completely removed if you want light through the screen during the day.

As a result of our experience and having talked to friends we bought a set of Taylor Made external screen covers with the velcro fixing that allows folding down, at the Newark Show last month. We used them for the first time just over a week ago and were very happy with them. Folding them down and refixing them is no problem and there was very little condensation on the cab window.

Cost was £80 for 2004 Boxer.

Graham

Hi Jo, Screens are for keeping the reflection of the sun out on hot summer days. Like folks have said in prior posts, it helps with condensation. Unfortunately, they will not help to keep you warmer on a cold night.

External Screens

I would argue that they don't keep warmer on a cold night. They insulate the screen, therefore reduce the loss of heat significantly.

I have recently put in a curtain behind the cab seats, full floor to ceiling height. This also reduces the heat loss through the cab and I feel beneficial for wild camping as I can choose not to fit the exterior screens and should a situation arise where I need to move on quickly, it is a case of pulling the curtain to one side, start the engine, engage gear, drop handbreak and I'm out of there quick. However the downside of this option was the cost of the curtain in the same material matching the vans original furnishings (£80).

Jon

thanks very much for your replies

certainly food for thought....will think about what do to do, the not so cheap option is to change vans again and go back to double glazing windows , i didnt know how warm they really kept me !

Thanks all

Not sure you will find a van with double glazed windscreen, only seen DG front windows on caravans

bertie

certainly food for thought....will think about what do to do, the not so cheap option is to change vans again and go back to double glazing windows , i didnt know how warm they really kept me !

Thanks all

I now have both!

Internal - Good - are VERY quick to use... use them for 'security' and pop them on every time we park. Bad - DON'T stop condensation.

External - Good - reduce/stop condensation, make it very snug. Bad - Couldn't make a quick getaway if needed, not nice to handle/store if it rained at night!

Next time we're away I may try both sets at the same time!! That MUST prevent a cold cab area!!

I have a curtain than runs on rollers. One pull all along the cab and we have our privacy. Takes a few seconds to pull them back for a "quick getaway" There are ties at each end behind the seats to secure them when driving

I now have both!

Internal - Good - are VERY quick to use... use them for 'security' and pop them on every time we park. Bad - DON'T stop condensation.

External - Good - reduce/stop condensation, make it very snug. Bad - Couldn't make a quick getaway if needed, not nice to handle/store if it rained at night!

Next time we're away I may try both sets at the same time!! That MUST prevent a cold cab area!!

we used both when it was -16 near Andorra, worked very well and kept us as snug in a bug
bertie

I have a custom made exterior cab screen for my '68 VW Bus. It is from a company called Bluebird Customs, it certainly makes a difference, keeps you snug in winter and cool in summer, well worth the £35 I paid for it. The Mrs made us some internal screens for all the other windows from those silver bubble wrap sun screens you get in Tesco. They work well to. However we have stopped being such cheapskates and are getting a purpose made set from Just Kampers.

As for the 'quick getaway' problem. I only Wildcamp for fun in places I know I'll be safe, so it ain't really an issue for me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back