Exhaust pipe

Trevor

My exhaust has those thick round rubber rings that keep it up under the van on hooks but they dont seem to last very long, the last time they snapped i replaced them with strong cable ties :) as a temporary fix and they seem to last longer than the rubber rings, now the cable ties have snapped anyway to get to the point has anyone got a more permanent solution to this problem or do i need to buy more rubber rings in bulk:eek:

Trev....
The reason why these rubber rings are used, is because the exhaust should be able to have some movement due to vibration, otherwise the vibration could cause damage to the welds on the seams. Cable ties will not give you the same amount of movement, and could result in damage.
You could try using Bungy Cord, just cut the hooks off on the end. You can buy these Bungy's dirt cheap at the market or pound shops.

Cheers Jeff,
The rubber rings are not very exspensive from a local exhaust dealer its just that i am looking for something better for the job, i had the same problem with my Talbot untill i bought a aluminum type exhaust i recon the old exhaust are to heavy.
I will keep the Bungy Cord idea in mind.
Thanks.

My exhaust has those thick round rubber rings that keep it up under the van on hooks but they dont seem to last very long, the last time they snapped i replaced them with strong cable ties :) as a temporary fix and they seem to last longer than the rubber rings, now the cable ties have snapped anyway to get to the point has anyone got a more permanent solution to this problem or do i need to buy more rubber rings in bulk:eek:

The rings are there to provide a fluid mount for the exhaust if they keep snapping either the exhaust is misaligned or your engine mounts need attention,:( don't cover up the problem with stronger rings find out why they keep breaking. Good luck.

The best is to get some small metal springs they last longer than the rubbers but i think you want you have a good look at your engine mounts they may well be the main culprit.

Sounds like engine mounts to me. Sorry, they can be a pig to replace

Thanks for the good sound advice from all, i will take a closer look tomorrow if the weather is good. Cheers.:)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back