European Breakdown Cover

bdastu

Just back from a European trip with my mate on our motorbikes. He had a rear tyre puncture in Belgium and contacted his breakdown cover insurer (Nationwide). After a discussion with them they informed him that as he did not have a return booked, his cover was invalid and he was effectively abandoned at the side of the road. Luckily he managed to get recovery to the nearest dealer to get a new tyre/tube fitted. Is this normal? I checked my cover (RAC) when I got home and there is no mention of a requirement for a return being booked.

I think I've heard that somewhere before. However, when we needed them there was no mention of the return trip being booked (it wasn't).

I think there may be a confusion here.

Travel insurance policies often have a clause in the terms and conditions that a return ticket be held.

Since discovering that fact I always check the t's and c's when purchasing travel insurance.

Nationwide offer a bundle of insurances as far as I'm aware. It might be that the person who took the call misinterpreted the t's and c's. I'd suggest your friend read through them thoroughly and if there's any ambiguity approach Nationwide for clarification.

We are presently at our hovel in France [no return ticket booked because we don't know how long we'll be here with the 'tidying up' after it being closed up for over 4 years ...

But, about 2018, IIRC, I rang to arrange Breakdown Cover with RAC, and explained that we would drive from Scotland to the hovel to open it up, spend about a week hacking a path to the door and carting the garden waste to the dechetterie etc, and then clear off on a touring caravan holiday, 'probably in the Loire Valley'. I was told that I probably wouldn't be covered, 'because the holiday must be booked before you leave UK, and yours obviously isn't' ...

If that interpretation were true, then it begs the question about cover validity if you have a touring M/Home break of open duration, finding space on an aire as and when needed ...

Steve

We are presently at our hovel in France [no return ticket booked because we don't know how long we'll be here with the 'tidying up' after it being closed up for over 4 years ...

But, about 2018, IIRC, I rang to arrange Breakdown Cover with RAC, and explained that we would drive from Scotland to the hovel to open it up, spend about a week hacking a path to the door and carting the garden waste to the dechetterie etc, and then clear off on a touring caravan holiday, 'probably in the Loire Valley'. I was told that I probably wouldn't be covered, 'because the holiday must be booked before you leave UK, and yours obviously isn't' ...

If that interpretation were true, then it begs the question about cover validity if you have a touring M/Home break of open duration, finding space on an aire as and when needed ...

Steve
Thanks Steve, that is my concern. I'm planning my first European trip with my van for September/October and would prefer a flexible approach to duration. I want to make sure I'm covered for any breakdown.

Thanks Steve, that is my concern. I'm planning my first European trip with my van for September/October and would prefer a flexible approach to duration. I want to make sure I'm covered for any breakdown.
Read the terms and conditions fully. If there is no such exclusion then you're covered.

My breakdown cover is bundled with my insurance policy from AIB. There isn't any exclusion.

I specifically ask for a number of days cover without specifying the exact return date for health insurance. 90 days in Europe seem easy to arrange.

This approach may also work with breakdown. I have found breakdown insurance that limits your travelling area is cheaper but of course won't help when you are in the North of Finland and want recovery to UK.

This also applies to Health insurance.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back