ellesmere (shropshire)

firefighter

Going down to Ellesmere in a couple of weeks for a few days in the 'van to visit my wee auntie who is in a home in Ellesmere, I do it every year and last year I stayed at a noisy site behind a pub ("The Trotting Mare") So this year I thought I would maybe wild it if anyone knows anywhere kinda scenic and close :confused: I know there's a lot of good walking down there too, I've done most of the Shropshire Union canal walks in that area so again if anyone knows of some long distance paths which pass through the area I'd be obliged....TA:D

hi ellesmere is only a couple of miles away from my home & i would highly recommend colemere picnic area, its fantastic there and very very picturesque with a walk around the mere(takes an hour)...go through ellesmere towards shrewsbury,go pass the turning for whitchurch & in about 1/2 a mile turn left signposted lyneal travel down this rd until you get to a T junction (about 2 miles) opposite will be some council houses,turn left here & follow the rd (1/2 mile) around to the right then the carpark is on the left,its absolutely beautiful here & no hight barriers,very quiet at night but dog walkers in the day,its in the middle of no where..sammx
lan_j09a.jpg

colemere.gif

tempting you yet!!:)

also the walk around the mere is beautiful,we take millie our boxer there,its mostly woodland & some part of it runs along the canal,very nice indeed...sammx
1016045.jpg

your tempting me Samm dont know about Firefighter,
Rob

Ok thanks mate ,Had a busy time since we got back from France ,with Jaine taking her driving test and her mam in and out of hospital every few days.Hopefully sorted now as Jaines passed her theory (takes test next month) and her mams had op and is now home so looking forward to bank holiday and then another week off in late september (might go back to France if we have money if not Newquay area in S Wales ).
rob

Could do Graham
I'm working til sat dinner so it will be a late start for us but we are hoping to go later in sept(if we cant afford France) as when we went to Newquay last year we thought it was awsome.
Rob

***** said:
Do you know a nice place to overnight there?:confused:
There is a car park on the right as you drop into Newquay but its not very level,we stopped on a site on left facing car park (will dig name out)
heres a link

http://www.newquay-westwales.co.uk/
newquay itself has very narrow roads so not advisable to drive down to beach
you can park on front in aberaeron turn right in village and head for sea car park at bottom.In Aberythwyth we stopped on front near lifeboat station its ok there.

Last edited by a moderator:
newquay

IMAG0217.jpg

Heres a view from site

Last edited by a moderator:
***** said:
Thanks Rob, we will look into it further,
Nice pics Rob, That is not you van that Jaine is standing by???
regards Graham:)
Yea it was the autostratus was first van
Rob

uv got me on the hook!! sounds amazing thanx for all the input and the map! if only I could get my photobucket running, Maybe I'll have to visit Merlin!! I'm going down to Ellesmere around the 3rd sept so hopefully it shouldn't be too wet for some decent walking and I can get my 80 year old auntie out in her wheelchair and stay dry!! thanx again Daviexx

it really is a fantastic place firefighter....you could get your table n chairs out on the grass or even have a bbq....too...i have seen that campsite behind the trotting mare..not very inviting...but great carvery there on a sunday,although its getting a little expensive now..im positive you will love colemere...loads of walks & wildlife..you prob could take your aunty in her wheelchair around some of it (weather permitting)but some steps in one area near to the canal..so you would have to turn round and come back then,if you do take her round it go clockwise as the steps are almost at the end then....hope this helps & if you stick colemere into your search engine it will bring up lots of info on the area..samm x

I've been online and had a bit of a look and I think I'm gonna quite enjoy my 4 days down ur way. U may even know my wee auntie as everyone doen there seems to do. She is a wee roman catholic nun from poor clares at the mere in ellesmere, been down there for hundreds of years she has!! (my mum was a catholic and my dad was an orangeman you can imagine the fun that was!!) everywhere I go with my aunt everyone knows her, she used to love going in to oswestry and doing a bit of shopping, and one of the places she misses is the big shopping centre in wrexam. thanx again 4 all the info:D :D :D :D ;)

firefighter said:
I've been online and had a bit of a look and I think I'm gonna quite enjoy my 4 days down ur way. U may even know my wee auntie as everyone doen there seems to do. She is a wee roman catholic nun from poor clares at the mere in ellesmere, been down there for hundreds of years she has!! (my mum was a catholic and my dad was an orangeman you can imagine the fun that was!!) everywhere I go with my aunt everyone knows her, she used to love going in to oswestry and doing a bit of shopping, and one of the places she misses is the big shopping centre in wrexam. thanx again 4 all the info:D :D :D :D ;)
not sure if i know her....maybe iv seen her walking around as i worked in ellesmere at lakeside coaches for 3 years,& i did the arriva service from there to oswestry..i bet she was one of my passengers...im terrible with names but great with faces....im sure you will enjoy your time here..sammx

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back