Electric Hookups in Europe

SunsetSeeker

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me if the connections for elctric hookups are different in europe from the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes they are, they use a two pin non connection and adaptors are available, most camping shops have them or give us a ring.

You can also get a polarity checker and reverser.

Peter

As JCM has said DO get a polarity checker as the EU sites are a bit slap-dash when it comes to wiring. A freind bought a pr of adaptors from Towsure, then took the plug off one of them and re-fitted the 'wrong way round' and marked the cable with tape, then if you couple up on a site and the polarity checker does not flash up with all three LED's you simply hook up with the 'wrongly wired' adaptor.

Search for 240v polarity checker on ebay, I bought a VERY compact 3 LED unit that checks polarity and earth for just £2.99 with free P&P. I leave it in a spare socket all the time as it makes a very nice night light!!

continental plugs

hi sunseeker
i use one of the continental plug adapters from poundland (2 for £1). and made up a short lead with one of our 3 pin plugs on one end, and a blue female socket on the other, plug the 3 pin (uk) socket into the poundland plug adapter and away you go.
also usefull for plugging in the van at home as the made up lead has a uk 3 pin plug on. (put socket tester in on ebay) for polarity checker.

live long and prosper:D:eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi,

This is what it looks like, £4-89 on our website in electricals.

Peter

Attachments

• adaptor.jpg
    adaptor.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 148
hi sunseeker
i use one of the continental plug adapters from poundland (2 for £1). and made up a short lead with one of our 3 pin plugs on one end, and a blue male socket on the other, plug the 3 pin (uk) socket into the poundland plug adapter and away you go.
also usefull for plugging in the van at home as the made up lead has a uk 3 pin plug on.

live long and prosper:D:eek::rolleyes:

This is the CEE plug you will need on the majority of the campings and hook-ups on the continent.
75601015_div1.jpg

Most continental made MH are allready equiped with this blue socket on board.
If there is no CEE socket (rarely happens nowadays on a hook-up) you'll have to use this plug:
EU-Plug-European-Power-Cords1.jpg

Best thing you can do: put the last (female, or adaptor)one on your hook-up wire, and make a short one with the continental plug (male) on one side and the CEE (female) on the other side (CEE's are far more expensive)
No need for a polarity checker for it is everywhere 240V alternative current.
Happy electrocussion :eek::D:D

JCM is EVEN cheaper than Towsure!!!!!!!! Only by 10p but every little helps... now wouldn't that make a good sales jingle!

And I thought Towsure were the cheapest for hook-up leads, certainly a LOT cheaper than those beong offered on flea bay!

JCM is EVEN cheaper than Towsure!!!!!!!! Only by 10p but every little helps... now wouldn't that make a good sales jingle!

And I thought Towsure were the cheapest for hook-up leads, certainly a LOT cheaper than those beong offered on flea bay!
Or simply buy your sockets and plugs on the continent and DIY; you'll come out even cheaper :rolleyes:

Thanks Everyone

Thanks to all for the prompt replies and useful info. Can get sorted now - already have most of what I need.

Don't know where we're going yet but keep you posted.:)

Hi, if your van is reasonably new, it may have a polarity tester built into the control panel.:D Have a good trip.

Happy Camping:)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back