drinking and parking up

ferretstroker

Hi - anyone know for sure what the situation is if the plod catch you in your van, wildcamping, ona highway or public car park - with a skin full of Ale? No intention at all of driving the vehicle but I think the offence is related to being in charge of rather than actually driving?

drinking

hi, ferretsroker, re your question on drinking in the van,we were down in weston a few weeks ago, pulled on to a dirt track of the toll road, {lovely spot,} it was just coming up to 7 oclock, put the table and chairs out just about to open the vodka when this forrestry commision guy pulled up and made it quite clear we wernt welcome, pointed out it was a private road not a highway, my wife was well peed of with me. {i thought we could park anywhere?} she then rang plod to clarify, first they made it clear we wernt welcome round weston, second they said if id had a tot, theyd just tow the van away, put it in a compound and smack me with a fine, nice, of the public highway he was a bit vague, possibly they could do me for drunk in charge?my lesson? i dont drink if im not 100 per cent, tom

In answer

Hi there in answer to your question. The law states that if you are within 10 feet of the steering wheel when inside, and have keys for the car, van, motorhome on you then you can be done for Drink driving. This is if you are parked in a ON or Near road position on not on private land.
I used to be a transport manager, and not so long back one of my drivers not a sleep in his cab on the night bed, in a layby my a transport cafe, he was knocked up my police along with a number of orther drives and done for drink driveing, We as a company hired a good defence lawer, but he was finded and nearly lost his job.
So please don,t think of that drink when not on private land. terry

Drink and Parking

Just thought I'd add my 2p's worth to this debate.
The following is a link to another website (sbmcc.co.uk) and should prove interesting read and hopefully clarify the situation

post Jul 21 2004, 02:02 AM

Click

Hope this helps

Jo ;)

I think it best

After reading the above link, and going by my own experence I think it best to keep to the tea or coffee, unless parked on private ground. I know that in france they our getting hot both on speeding and drink driving, and just having UK plates is not enough these days to think that the police will not pull you over.
I am not a kill joy, and enjoy a good beer far to much, but please remember that one pint or two today and maybe a few more the next day, and bang you are well over the limit.
terry

As i understand it, it is not simply a case of being "on private land" the law covers areas to which the public have access (a public place), believe it or not this would include many camp sites ,privately owned car parks car parks and similar places.

Opps sorry, just noticed Jo's link which gives more detailed info, next time I'll read the posts properly before I post a reply

Last edited:
I wouldn't drink and wild camp personally. You may find yourself at the local dogging or cottaging place. There could be any number of other reasons that you may want to have to move on. Very rarely happens, but can do.

HI ,what would if you park up and chill open a beer sit in the back of the van and give your wife or partner the keys then shes in charge of the van,would u still get done?

Can u not dig a hole and put your key in it?
Would this work?
is it a case of no key no prob?:confused:

Yeh dig a hole and put your keys in it,after a few bottles and a touch of memory loss,problem solved you can walk home.

missing keyholder

Agree with you there 100% *****.

Obviously with no intent to drive after opening a bottle if asked to move I would have to decline as my son - who holds the keys - has yet to return from his walk and he may be some time!.

BW

drinking.......

All you gorra prove is no intention of driving........if you are in pub car park for a overnighter......silver screens are up and you and the mrs.......or someone else's mrs are in bed asleep.......and you cunnilgly give your keys to landlord till next a.m......then theres no way they kan prove drunk in charge..........keys are the magic thing here........

only prob is next morning ,if you had a skinfull the night before chances are you will be over the limit. so i only have a couple of drinks if i have to drive next morn but if on a public car park you can always pay for a few hours then you will be ok

Agree that no keys = no problem. A friend of mine was bagged when he left a pub to retrieve something from his car boot in the car park. His jacket was still in the pub and he didn't open the driver's door so he clearly had no intention of leaving but still got a 12 month ban. Of course, many PCs may take a more reasonable approach but if you have no keys you are bullet proof.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back