Dometic fridge died and came back from the dead (good Easter story)

Deleted member 207

My Dometic died on me a while ago, and I was dreading the day that I would have to fork out a large amount of money to get it fixed.

Its a 3 way fridge, LPG, 12V and 240V and it had stopped working on 12V and LPG, I'd never used it on 240V so had nt bothered with checking.

I did the usual Internet things - lookup Dometic RM fridge manuals and any advice.

Took it to the local caravan repairer who was less than keen to get involved and gave the advice to give it a shake, up end it and leave it for a few days before bringing it back for him to do the same!!

The Internet advice came back

- remove the fridge, give it a good shake up, turn it upside down and leave it for 24 hours, then put it right way up for 24 hours, stick it back in and see what happens.

- clean the back of the fridge, clean the boiler tube, clean the gas jet with solvent (not wire)

- check the thermostat and 12V connections

- its a leaker if any yellow powder is present, go buy a new fridge or find someone who can replace the cooling elements for 75% of the cost of a new fridge

The first step seemed simple enough, shake, rattle and roll, plugged into 240V hey presto it got cold. Put it back into the van, fire up the gas and hey presto ........it did nt get cold.

Back to pulling it out and have another go, cleaned up the gas jet and boiler tube, gave all the 12V connections a quick squirt of WD40 and a blow out with compressed air, put the fridge back. Hey presto it works fine on gas and 12V.

Lesson learnt with non compressor fridges - dont be in too much of a hurry to replace something that is working, but needs maintenance.

Anyone who is in need of a Dometic or Electrolux manual they can be found at http://www.gasrefrigeration.net/dometic_manuals.htm

My Dometic died on me a while ago, and I was dreading the day that I would have to fork out a large amount of money to get it fixed.

Its a 3 way fridge, LPG, 12V and 240V and it had stopped working on 12V and LPG, I'd never used it on 240V so had nt bothered with checking.

I did the usual Internet things - lookup Dometic RM fridge manuals and any advice.

Took it to the local caravan repairer who was less than keen to get involved and gave the advice to give it a shake, up end it and leave it for a few days before bringing it back for him to do the same!!

The Internet advice came back

- remove the fridge, give it a good shake up, turn it upside down and leave it for 24 hours, then put it right way up for 24 hours, stick it back in and see what happens.

- clean the back of the fridge, clean the boiler tube, clean the gas jet with solvent (not wire)

- check the thermostat and 12V connections

- its a leaker if any yellow powder is present, go buy a new fridge or find someone who can replace the cooling elements for 75% of the cost of a new fridge

The first step seemed simple enough, shake, rattle and roll, plugged into 240V hey presto it got cold. Put it back into the van, fire up the gas and hey presto ........it did nt get cold.

Back to pulling it out and have another go, cleaned up the gas jet and boiler tube, gave all the 12V connections a quick squirt of WD40 and a blow out with compressed air, put the fridge back. Hey presto it works fine on gas and 12V.

Lesson learnt with non compressor fridges - dont be in too much of a hurry to replace something that is working, but needs maintenance.

Anyone who is in need of a Dometic or Electrolux manual they can be found at http://www.gasrefrigeration.net/dometic_manuals.htm

Couldn't do that with my fridge, its a tec tower and bigger than me and lenny together, almost as big as his new mate ( seen the photo!!!!):eek:

Roger.
What happen with fridge????
We have same problem with fridge.
If you got it fixed. Where????

He gave it a good Shake

and it worked with mine to....:D

used to common practice when the customer wasnt looking
with gas fridges years ago
tip towardes the burner
then over again
and again back to its feet
clean the flue then the jet
dont put wire in the hole
that will increase the hole size cause more probs
use somthing soft like a bristle off a paint brush
hth
although its a repeat sort of from above

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back