Does anyone recognise my van?

wildman

merc1.jpg

merc2.jpg

merc3.jpg

merc4.jpgJust bought this Merc 508 from Somerset. It has an SVO conversion. Does anyone recognise the van (1981) or know who did the conversion. (both van conversion and the SVO job) Many things appear not to work but am repairing my way through them. Whoever did recent electrics could save me a lot of wire tracing. It is the first van that we've had that is big enough for the two of us plus two dogs without tripping over each other so really looking forward to getting on the road.

Last edited:
MMM magazine are VERY good at naming older conversion, send them a photo if you have no luck on here.

I would hazard a guess at a "Foster and Day" conversion but by no means sure, no doubt someone will come up with the answer.
Best of luck with your search and your motorhoming.
Tone

Thanks for that at least it gives me somewhere to start looking. I must admit I've never heard of Foster and Day, where were they based? Should be mobile by the end of the month.
Cheers Roger.

Hi Roger,
I don't know if they are still in business, I havn't seen them at the shows lately, however I think the were made at Rochdale, try googling the name you may come up with something,
Tone

Hi. Glendale made a lot of vans with that roofine, also I have seen an early elldiss, with the same roofline. The owner of craftsman caravans, formally the glendale factory, sold out and became a director of elldiss so 1990s craftsmen look like eldiss in the tourers and I would imagine his influence would be in motorhomes as well. So if yours is around 1990 it is likely to be elldiss if older it would more than likely to be glendale. Glendale also put there small halfround plate to the right of the door, so look for signs of that. Hope that small piece of caravan history helps Best regards Andy.

Ps if you have a couple of better photos send me them my mate worked at glendale and craftsman for the years they were in poduction so he woud tell yo what they are.

Sorry I did not see the year first time looking at your post, It will be a Glendale if it was made in 1980 ish They were produced at the riverside works
Beverley near Hull. he offer still stands if you have photos. regards Andy

Thanks for that, I managed to attach 4 photos to the original post. How do I get them to display rather than attach can it be done without a website?
Thanks, Roger

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I managed to attach 4 photos to the original post. How do I get them to display rather than attach can it be done without a website?
Thanks, Roger

Have a look HERE for posting photos Roger

Steve

Hi. Glendale made a lot of vans with that roofine, also I have seen an early elldiss, with the same roofline. The owner of craftsman caravans, formally the glendale factory, sold out and became a director of elldiss so 1990s craftsmen look like eldiss in the tourers and I would imagine his influence would be in motorhomes as well. So if yours is around 1990 it is likely to be elldiss if older it would more than likely to be glendale. Glendale also put there small halfround plate to the right of the door, so look for signs of that. Hope that small piece of caravan history helps Best regards Andy.

Ps if you have a couple of better photos send me them my mate worked at glendale and craftsman for the years they were in poduction so he woud tell yo what they are.
Now managed to insert the photos. So any chance of ID for me please.

I used to own a Glendale. I thought they were only coachbuilt.

Hi, Did you look at the photos in the original question, if it is not coachbuilt what is it?:confused::confused::confused:
Totally confused

After much speculation and no definate answer. I approached MMM magazine, Martin Watts of the Classic Caravan Club could not identify it, but thought one of their members may own one ( or have owned this one) but that has no makers name either. so they are going to publish in the letters section probably in July 08. Maybe I will have some joy from the readership. I must say I quite like having such a unique van.

following the item in MMM magazine, the mystery is finally solved by a Dutch gentleman who's son now owns the company that used to import them into holland. It is NEWLANDER and was built in hull photos he supplied of the same body built on a dodge prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Quite a unique van as not many merc based were built. The company went into receivership at the end of the 1980's, After that the odd one was still built but not many. Thank you to everyone who tried to solve the puzzle.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back