DNA security.

Dezi

This came through the post yesterday from Safeguard.

Its a phial of unique, to me, DNA which is painted on your van valuables and some window stickers.

So if you regularly travel with the family silver stashed away somewhere in the van it can be traced to you- if found.

Anybody else seen these kits ?

Dezi
DNA.jpg

After our house was burgled the Police gave us some Smartwater which works the same way and stickers saying "Smartwater Protected". They gave us quite a lot so my MoHo & valuables in it are also painted and there is a sign on the door.

You could use any leftover to protect stuff in the house.

I am in the habit of using permanent marker ink pens to put my email address on all my property items. While this might be a deterrent against theft, it is also an easy and immediate way of a finder to inform me if I loose anything or leave it unattended. 1926hrs 07032021

I am in the habit of using permanent marker ink pens to put my email address on all my property items. While this might be a deterrent against theft, it is also an easy and immediate way of a finder to inform me if I loose anything or leave it unattended. 1926hrs 07032021

Did you know that you can remove a permanent marker by going over it with a non-permanent marker then rubbing it with a cloth?

Did you know that you can remove a permanent marker by going over it with a non-permanent marker then rubbing it with a cloth?

I do now Jim.

My mate has meticulously labelled all of his jars of spices in his boat galley - and there are loads. I can have hours of fun watching his puzzled face while he tries to sort them after I have removed them all next time I go to the marina.

Ta for that.

Its a phial of unique, to me, DNA which is painted on your van valuables and some window stickers.

So if you regularly travel with the family silver stashed away somewhere in the van it can be traced to you- if found.

Dezi
View attachment 86989
Yes, I got a kit from them too a few months ago but not used it yet. No real explanation why I haven't but thought it was a bit odd. I didn't ask for it nor did they ask me if I wanted one and I think it is only valid so long as you are insured with them so a bit tying which probably made me dither a bit. Been with Safeguard for a few years and not had any feelings to go elsewhere but always look at renewal time.

Probably a good idea to use the kit though so might dig it out and give it a go (but the stickers do look a bit tacky, no pun intended :))

It’s called Smart Water. We got burgled 11 years ago and City Council gave us a kit to mark everything. Idea being if it’s stolen and subsequently found they know where it came from. Police need to know goods are stolen otherwise the their just says they are his. Mark everything movable. Ours left a bit of a sheen when it dried.

Yes, I got a kit from them too a few months ago but not used it yet. No real explanation why I haven't Probably a good idea to use the kit though so might dig it out and give it a go
Makes me think that they could use not using it as a get out clause in any claim

Makes me think that they could use not using it as a get out clause in any claim
That's a good point and something I looked for in the pack at the time but don't recall seeing anything stipulating it was a must. I will contact them and ask for them to confirm their position on this (in writing) and update when I've had a response.

Dezi
View attachment 86989
Yes have that for my classic bikes.

If it's the genuine Smartwater than there's a monthly or yearly subscription to be paid. Try building a package here
Works out at around £111.00 for one year

Regards,
Del

Marker pen is also easily removed with WD40.

That's a good point and something I looked for in the pack at the time but don't recall seeing anything stipulating it was a must. I will contact them and ask for them to confirm their position on this and update when I've had a response.

I've just got round to contacting Safeguaurd regarding the DNA kits they've started to supply to their policyholders. They confirmed it is just complimentary and there is no obligation to use it. It does not have any impact on cover or premiums. :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back