distributor cap

lenny

Does anyone know why one of the high tension lead input terminals always turns green after a while on my distributor cap?

Does anyone know why one of the high tension lead input terminals always turns green after a while on my distributor cap?
i think it might be water ingress or a loose connection try wd 40

They turn green because they are copper Lenny

When they get damp this caues the corosion

WD40 will drive away the damp that is there now but as soon as the lead moves when the engine is running it will go green somewhere else .

I put vaseline in the socket where the wire sits and in the rubber boot that covers the joint , it is a bit untidy but is does keep out the damp

Steve

I guess it is copper corrosion, WD40 will help, vaseline is better.

Thanks for the responce so far, but to tell you the whole story,I recently renewed plugs ,HT leads rotor arm and meant to replace the distributor cap but ot was not in stock, so I cleaned out the green terminal and lubricated it thinking this would do the trick till my new cap arrived, I got the new cap after 10 days and found that the old cap had a green terminal again. Just seems a bit strange to me:confused:

PS Tried a couple of aspirins in there:eek::D: but then could'nt get the lead back in:p:rolleyes:

Hope you get it sorted out Lenny but i think that the vaseline is your best bet i used it years ago and Avandriver jogged my memory, but dont use grease its not good.;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back