Diesel Space Heater

carol25singer

Can anyone help me please? We've got a heater that uses diesel, i think it's make is Webasco and it's very good, although a bit noisy. however we were wondering the other day if it was OK to use it at the same time as having the engine running as we haven't done this.
We were talking to a couple who kept the same type of heater on all night but Chris doesn't like the sound of this, is it safe to do?

I don't see a problem with running the Webasto at the same time as the engine, in fact, having the engine running will replace the power you are taking from the battery to power the heater. I have an Eberspacher (same principle as yours) in my motor boat and I have keep it running all the way across the North Sea, about 30 hours continuous running. The usual complaint about this type of heater is the exhaust noise, but this usually only happens if the exhaust pipe is too short and exiting through a hole which is too small.
PS If you are running your engine you will not hear the heater noise.
Hope this helps

As Heimdal says, whether its a webasco or eberspaecher heater, as long as it is working properly and serviced, etc, it is perfectly safe to leave on, but for safety, it should be switched off before going onto a garage forecourt to fill up.
Noise? Is yours fitted internally or externally? A unit fitted externally is usually quieter for the occupants. Rubber anti-vibration mountings can also help cut down the noise for the occupants. Silencers can be purchased to help lessen the exhaust noise, but i've never tried one, so can't comment.

Voxy.

Once it gets going it's not too bad ! Certainly not as noisy as a fan heater.

Heater noise

You can now buy a kit/mod that uses a quieter fan, rather like a computer fan which I'm told helps!

Nosha said:
You can now buy a kit/mod that uses a quieter fan, rather like a computer fan which I'm told helps!

I'm a computer fan! I don't know where I'd be without one :D

Oh come on Virgil is that the best you can do?

And before you ask... No I can't do any better!!

hi carol, yes you can have a webaston heater on when the engine is running, and when you are driving if it is fitted correctly.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back