Damage insurance claims

wynnielafreak

I have a home conversion worth three grand which costs £1500 a year to insure, fully comp, for business and pleasure plus im in entertainment, hence the extortionate fees and with a £250 excess.
Heres the dicotomy, after a run in with an iron fence the van now has damage, a garage quoted £1500 for a perfect job through the insurance or I have a mate can do a bodge job for £300. The insurer (CIS) wont tell me how my claim will be effected. I have no no claims bonuses to loose, though included in my premium is a 40% introduction discount.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?????????????????

If you go through the insurance they will only load your premiums over the years so you end up paying for it anyway. Depends on what you mean by a botch job. As long as it is not done so it's dangerous to you or others i'd go for the mate doing it.

Last edited:
I think I will as he is a proffesional body repairer. In the mean time ive just had an insurance certificate replaced as the other was lost and after noticing the bussiness use had been removed (im in entertainment and use my van for traveling to gigs and changing in) I phoned and was advised it was an error on my policy and a new commercial policy would be half the premium. I thought it would have gone up not down ??? so for 9 months ive been driving thinking i was insured for bussiness purposes and paying for the priviledge whilst actually not. frickin insurers.

wynnielafreak said:
I think I will as he is a proffesional body repairer. In the mean time ive just had an insurance certificate replaced as the other was lost and after noticing the bussiness use had been removed (im in entertainment and use my van for traveling to gigs and changing in) I phoned and was advised it was an error on my policy and a new commercial policy would be half the premium. I thought it would have gone up not down ??? so for 9 months ive been driving thinking i was insured for bussiness purposes and paying for the priviledge whilst actually not. frickin insurers.

Insurers are great for taking money but hate to pay out don't they. I had a critical illness insurance with The Abbey and after being diagnosed with Emphysema, Arthritis of the spine and a Heart problem I claimed on it only to be told these were not Critical Illnesses.

wynnielafreak said:
I have a home conversion worth three grand which costs £1500 a year to insure, fully comp, for business and pleasure plus im in entertainment, hence the extortionate fees and with a £250 excess.
Heres the dicotomy, after a run in with an iron fence the van now has damage, a garage quoted £1500 for a perfect job through the insurance or I have a mate can do a bodge job for £300. The insurer (CIS) wont tell me how my claim will be effected. I have no no claims bonuses to loose, though included in my premium is a 40% introduction discount.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?????????????????

I have been insured with CIS from age 16 now 64. Have had various claims in that time and they have handled them smoothly. Had motor home burnt out and they initially disputed the value but I backed it up with adds from MMM etc and the loss adjuster agreed my value and they paid out. I did find them too expensive and got more continental time for my present Hymer with Comfort 180 days instead of 30.

At that cost I would get your mate to repair it. You have informed the insurance of the prang so it shouldn't affect your future dealings

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back