Cycle rack wanted

billy1000

I am looking for a decent bike rack that will fit onto a 1993 Talbot Kontiki. Got one on already but it's scabby so looking to replace it with the same type and fittings. Must be VGC.

What breed/type is it?
I don't think you can beat ebay for finding this type of item.

Cycle rack

You see some good ones on ebay, but if you were looking for new ,towsure are pretty good on price.Brought a fiamma 4 from them couple years ago,fast delivery no problems fitted next day.

GARY ENGLISH said:
You see some good ones on ebay, but if you were looking for new ,towsure are pretty good on price.Brought a fiamma 4 from them couple years ago,fast delivery no problems fitted next day.
Had a look at the Ebay ones but not quite what I want but Towsure seems to be a good bet. Thanks.

I have decided I am going to need a bike rack and don't have a problem finding one, what worries me is how do you find out where the framework is on the rear wall/panel to drill into, dont want to make a pigs ear of it when I come to fit one. I bet there's some clever person on here who can help.
Thanks in advance.
Tony:) ;)

Just been having a look around since getting involved with this thread and found what I think could be the answer to what I am looking for, its a Thule 9402 , which is a towball mounted carrier, has anyone any experience of this carrier? wish I knew how to add a link to make it easier for anyone interested to have a look, but simple to google (Thule 9402) and you could see it. If anyone has one, or has seen one give me a review please.

Tony

No experience of the Thule one (but its certain to be good and expensive!) but we had a Paddy hopkirk one a few years ago

http://www.paddyhopkirk.co.uk/products/cycle/red/cm21.htm

It fitted with just 3 R clips and gripped snugly on the towball (50mm not 2") and when I put all my weight (95kg) on it, it never budged, the only downside of them (for us anyway) was that you cannot tow whilst the rack is fitted. We now use either the roofrack ones (on the Rover or Renault) or the fitted Fiamma one on the camper , we still have to have the tag-along in the camper as there are too many of us!

Thanks for that Virgil, another one to consider, there is a very similar one to the Thule on that site you left a link to but could'nt find any prices on them, by the way its for the camper I want one for, thought it may save drilling to fit a Fiamma on.

Tony

Bike rack

I use my bike rack for carrying my generator, fuel for the gen: 8 ltrs max, as I have to keep a watch on the weight the rack is permitted to take. 36 kgs is max. The rack is reinforced with bolts, which is another thing watch out for. I have a garden box 6ft x 3ft 21/2ft, fits perfectly. Everything is shoved in there. I have two chains wrapped around it and locked with a padlock. I keep the total weight between 30 to 32kgs. No problems up to date.

bike rack

Just spoke to freind who has a fiamma bike rack bolted on back and a witter for the tow bar ,he uses both.The only thing with the tow bar one, says it can be difficult two get four bikes on ,if all different types .Easy fitting with fiamma as adjustable.Hope this is helpfull.

Many Thanks Virgil & Gary for your comments, my only concern now is, how easy is "easy fitting", like how do you find position to drill into rear wall? do you drill right through? I don't want to make a mess, or a mistake.

Cheers Tony

fiamma bike rack

Also with the fiamma you can buy extending rails ,so you can offset the bikes .Very handy if carrying four bikes off different sizes.

Ignore that last post Billy as I forgot you got your new one now! D'oh!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back