Cutting a new hatch.

Deleted member 207

Well I've finally lashed out on a 12V/240V Air Conditioner from Waeco and now have to cut a hole in the roof of the Westfalia to accomodate the little beauty.

I've done all the check for power cables using a "wall stud finder", marked out, double and triple checked the measurements, made up a wooden frame to re-enforce the roof/ceiling.

But I still have this lingering doubt about pushing a drill and then a saw through the fibreglass roof.

Anyone have any tips?

How do I overcome this sense of impending doom??

Well I've finally lashed out on a 12V/240V Air Conditioner from Waeco and now have to cut a hole in the roof of the Westfalia to accomodate the little beauty.

I've done all the check for power cables using a "wall stud finder", marked out, double and triple checked the measurements, made up a wooden frame to re-enforce the roof/ceiling.

But I still have this lingering doubt about pushing a drill and then a saw through the fibreglass roof.

Anyone have any tips?

How do I overcome this sense of impending doom??

Measure twice then cut once, if that makes sense to you Roger.
And wear a mask.

roger just be brave, what are you going to use to cut the hole? if its a jigsaw make sure the area of contact of the base of the saw is covered by the outside trim if not put masking tape around the edge,we use three layers as it can vibrate through 1 layer.if you have tripled checked there should be no problem i have to cut holes in vans all the time some brand new and it is a bit nerve racking but things usualy go as planed.also in a jigsaw we use a speacil blade rather then just an ordinary wood one.

roger use a fine toothed blade to cut thro and push down if cutting from above or vice versa onto the fibreglass to stop it springin' and good luck:)

roger just be brave, what are you going to use to cut the hole? if its a jigsaw make sure the area of contact of the base of the saw is covered by the outside trim if not put masking tape around the edge,we use three layers as it can vibrate through 1 layer.if you have tripled checked there should be no problem i have to cut holes in vans all the time some brand new and it is a bit nerve racking but things usualy go as planed.also in a jigsaw we use a speacil blade rather then just an ordinary wood one.

I was going to use a fine metal cutting jigsaw blade, my other concern has been will it be long enough to cut both the roof, insulation and the ceiling at the same time.

Good idea about the masking tape. I am going to use gaffer tape on the ceiling to make sure that it does not split when cut. I will also use a wooden batten to guide the jigsaw, rather than free hand it.

Do you normally cut opposite sides, leave a bit to stop it bouncing around and then complete the other two sides and just hand cut the last bits?

[/QUOTE]Measure twice then cut once[/QUOTE]

I've now measured four times!!! I've only got a few mm clearance with a cupboard door, so I'm measuring from the inside, will drill pilot holes to the outside and then cut from above - if that makes sense or anyone has a better idea? My son will be volunteering to hold the ceiling whilst I cut through from above - he just does nt know it yet!!

sawing

Roger

be brave! you have a 50/50 chance.,either right or wrong.

I am sure it will be OK

Fingers crossed:)

Weez
Tony

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back