Creaking van

gypo

Having recently changed from a van conversion to our first coach built van I’ve noticed how creaky the van can be on uneven ground and rough roads. Is this normal? If so can anyone offer any fixes please?
Thanks
D

Entirely normal for some coach built mhs and there is not a great deal that you can do. Air suspension helped on our Swift but even then it squeaked, groaned and creaked. We got rid of it after a year and bought a Burstner which was much better.

Is this normal? If so can anyone offer any fixes please?
Yes, and probably not.

The fundamental problem is that the body is not very torsionally rigid. Consequently it will tend to be noisy.

I find with my Autotrail that on occasion the habitation door doesn't open and close cleanly because there has been some flexing of the body whilst parking on an uneven surface. The problem goes away the next time I drive and the body returns to its normal state.

I think the squeak/creak is coming from the rubber bushes in the stabilising bar at the rear, looks a bit like an anti-roller bar.
Would anyone know where to get these please? It’s a 2013 Roller Team.
Thanks

I think the squeak/creak is coming from the rubber bushes in the stabilising bar at the rear, looks a bit like an anti-roller bar.
Would anyone know where to get these please? It’s a 2013 Roller Team.
Thanks
Fiat if it is a the fiat Chassis or Alko dealer if not.

The problem with most coach built motorhomes is normally the flimsy chassis the bodies are built on, you simply can't overcome the weakness of this kind of construction compared with the rigidity of unitary construction of panel vans.

The problem with most coach built motorhomes is normally the flimsy chassis the bodies are built on, you simply can't overcome the weakness of this kind of construction compared with the rigidity of unitary construction of panel vans.
Wouldn't have said my merc chassis looked flimsy, the added on bit at the very back is a different matter though. A monocoque shell has its benefits but isn't the main one that it distorts to dissipate force in the event of a crash? While the body on a coach built would be wrecked in a rollover I doubt a panel van would survive either although it would be in one lump

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:170)

izwozral, Makzine, runnach, andyjanet, oppy, AllanD, pamjon, Tartarus, CHAIRMAN, mistericeman, chrishunter, Wully, The laird, GMJ, korky, Steve and Julie, TJBi, n brown, jeffmossy, trevskoda, number14, ajb70, Charlynch, Sharon the Cat, jann, Moonraker 2, colinm, guerdeval, mark61, HurricaneSmith, Alberto, RichardHelen262, Heppy, Jakethepeg1, TeamRienza, NSY, hank, Budgie, Cass, Mick H, ewen, ricc, saxonborg, alwaysared, TimSands, kingfisher1, 2cv, clarkpeacock, Tim120, Nabsim, Canalsman, lthoel2, Wooie1958, calvo, Topmast, jacquigem, hamsterberg27, agm62, marchie, Martin P, Ianto999, dianek08, BOTCANU, Livotlout, Scotia, Obanboy666, suzesunflower, myvanwy, Bouydog, wildebus, MartinFife, Okta, denmar, RSD7a, regnarts, Bigshug, Robmac, witzend, DTF, noah and nelly, belbri, campervanannie, yeoblade, Greengrass, Outdoors Dad, 1 Cup, slider69r, yorkslass, kensowerby, Mossystone, stonedaddy, BKCharles, smackaylvit, linda1960, Jeavsy, Wildrock, Alshymer, GWAYGWAY, CraigGould, Owlsnest56, EllieM, Mr K2, harrow, M and the whippet, eggbeater, mick n jules, Ly085, boggie, Rumour, iandsm, Squeegee, BM48, Val54, b0p, seagoon, JVG, alca, barrypat, Dezi, Phil Cooper, rambrose, 1807truckman, jonc, horace, winks, Hogweed, Gerry Attrick, Florance, Jiwawa, knowledgeseeker, FiL, roadroamer, Rutaria, Weefifer, V1nny, Wardy73, Mikecoo, Motoroamer, Fifer, gabby82, Bazza1509, gripseven, bnb080, diongr, TonyandJo, Pudsey Bear, Millie Master, maingate, Jo001, Gerti58, Gadabout2, barryd, adriandp, Ched, rugbyken, Munroz, merl, Monkeybrand, gettingolder2, ton27, jeanette, mariesnowgoose, Delica iom, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, barge1914, iampatman, Lizzie, s4x4c, hmssnake, Rod,
Back