Crack in fresh water tank

Calmh

Free Member
Hi all… help and advice needed urgently please … we are currently touring in our MH in the Lot/Dordogne area of France & have developed a 2” hairline crack in our plastic fresh water tank in the bottom corner so effectively the tank is completely empty therefore we do not have any running water. We had with us JB plastic weld so we tried that, it held for one fillup, but then started to pour out again, we have also just tried Soudal Fix All Turbo which we have yet to test as it’s still drying. Any advice on what we can try or where we can go to get it repaired would be greatly appreciated please 🙏🏻

fac7efa9-fc3e-4196-a485-00acda58a2f2.jpeg

Welcome to the challenging world of motorhome adventures.
How good is your French ?
Ask other motorhomers , tuggers , and even the receptionist,if you're on a campsite.
They could direct you to a dealer/ repair shop.
Lash out some money on a big plastic Jerry can, to tide you through
Good luck

I've had fights with plastic water tanks in the past.
My conclusion was that the lime scale in the crack was preventing any bonding.
I think the answer would be to cut back to clean plastic.
Any kind of glue will need to be flexible.
PU mastic could work.
I only use stainless steel water tanks now.

Mark

When a German MoHo reversed into my motorbike he broke one of the plastic lugs on a pannier.

It cost me £5 to get it plastic welded back on.

Time to get google searching.

Is your picture of the interior of the tank?

If so then water pressure would help retain a patch.

I would abrade the surface with coarse sandpaper to provide a key. Then apply a patch, perhaps a piece of aluminium foil from a ready meal container or dog food tray, using Sikaflex EBT to bond it in place.

If it's the outside of the tank it's trickier because the water pressure will tend to push off a patch but the same technique may work.

If it is accessible enough heat up an old knife and rub it over the crack thus welding the crack back together, make sure you clean it up first tho after the jb weld etc

Hi all… help and advice needed urgently please … we are currently touring in our MH in the Lot/Dordogne area of France & have developed a 2” hairline crack in our plastic fresh water tank in the bottom corner so effectively the tank is completely empty therefore we do not have any running water. We had with us JB plastic weld so we tried that, it held for one fillup, but then started to pour out again, we have also just tried Soudal Fix All Turbo which we have yet to test as it’s still drying. Any advice on what we can try or where we can go to get it repaired would be greatly appreciated please 🙏🏻

View attachment 134825
Epoxy resin and woven glass matt reinforcement, need to sand back to clean plastic. boat chandlers will sort you out with materials.

Back