Condensation in Cupboards.

Pioneer

During the winter months, the top cupboards inside Motorhomes suffer with condensation, clothes feel dampish and cold. I have thought of fitting some insulation to the roof of all the cupboards, maybe the type that you fit behind central heating radiators. This is easily cut to size, and can be pasted to the roof.
Anyone tried this, or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Happy Camping:)

vents

we put small vents in the side of the cupboards seems to do the trick

When your van is layed up in the winter for a while open all cupboard doors
bathroom door, fridge and freezer infact anything shut open it so air temperature is the same though out the van even if cold.

We all so put table salt in jars for moisture:D

Thanks for the replys, I do leave all the doors open when not in use and everything is ok, but the problem is when the cupboards are full and the van in use. I think I will try the radiator/wall insulation on our next trip out. It's when the warm air meets the cold roof inside the cupboard that causes the problem. Maybe this will help to keep the cupboards cool in the summer as well.:confused:
Maybe fit some vents as well. Will keep you posted on results.

the problem may be because the cupboards are too full you do need an ait flow around all stored objects
may be a sheet of corogated polycarbonate sheeting to line the interior roof of your cupboards will allow suficent air flow above your over filled cupboards

I go along with the salt in a jar or plastic plates, i have used the system for years, though only in the bigger MH. that we have owned.;)

The problem is not condensation like that appears on the windscreen, but the clothes feel cold and damp. I have fitted two cupboards with the radiator/wall insulation, and will report back on my findings after use during the Whitehouse Farm meet. Used double sided carpet tape to stick into the cupboards, incase it doesn't work, then easily removed.

The problem is not condensation like that appears on the windscreen, but the clothes feel cold and damp. I have fitted two cupboards with the radiator/wall insulation,

is this problem more obvious in warmer climates or is it always the same
we find that when in spain things do tend to feel cold and damp especialy if lef out to dry but they are not realy damp we assume it is the diffrence in humidity that we are noticing
just 5 minits in the main part of the van seems to correct our suposed dam problem

Last edited:
Hi t&s,
yes, I would say that the problem is more prevalent in the warmer climes, but during the winter at home also, when the heating is on quite a lot. I think it must be the warm air inside coming up against the cold wall and roof part of the cupboards that causes the clothes to feel cold and damp. I have fitted some insulation in two cupboards as a trial ready for the next trip out. Let you know what happens. The wall/roof aleady feels warmer to the touch, so we'll see.

Have you ever tried vacuum bags for your extra smalls etc. I have used them for years now so we can leave a weekends worth of clothes in the van 24/7.

No damp problems and space saving. By the way, Lidl are doing them this Thursday for under £3 00p. for two.

Hello

Try lining the roof [and back if needed] of affected cupboard with some of that insulating matting campers sometimes use. Cut to size and just press it into place. Used that method for years. We also use those plactic travel mate bags mentioned above.

Motorhomer

The problem is not condensation like that appears on the windscreen, but the clothes feel cold and damp. I have fitted two cupboards with the radiator/wall insulation, and will report back on my findings after use during the Whitehouse Farm meet. Used double sided carpet tape to stick into the cupboards, incase it doesn't work, then easily removed.

Having tested the rad/wall insulation over the week-end in two cupboards, I found the clothes a lot warmer to touch, without any dampness feeling. But, I found the insulation would not stand the test of time, easily dented or torn.
Plan B, is to use a similar insulation that looks like bubblewrap, used in loft insulation, so will post the results later.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back