coconut milk

delicagirl

hi all - I am clearing out cupboards and need to use 3 cans of coconut milk fairly quickly. Is it drinkable as ordinary milk/soya milk - or is it only for cooking with ?

hi all - I am clearing out cupboards and need to use 3 cans of coconut milk fairly quickly. Is it drinkable as ordinary milk/soya milk - or is it only for cooking with ?

It is drinkable Collete, but I believe it is a diuretic, so not too much!

can we ask whats the hurry .its not the date is it .
if its still in date might be worth letting it mature till its out of date . ideally 2-3 years be ok.

when i was driving skip lorries you could live for weeks on out of date tins some big shops threw out .
in 1999 i was actually in colditz castle when they found a new under floor food store . the guide and the town mayor was there i opened a tin of corned beef it was ok and ate some . others wouldnt . it was funny . mind we got an invite to the mayors table at the birkenfest evening in the town street . perhaps he thought we only poor folk .

like you alan I have experienced eating tinned food which was canned a very long time ago and have suffered no ill effects - in the 1960's my father bought an Open All Hours grocers shop and in the cellar he found baked beans from the early 1950's which we ate and were fine.

I am happy to eat food from tins which are a short time out of date, but, sadly some of these items I have found today were 2-3 years old and I threw them out. It was grievous thing to do, when so many are hungry, and I will do something to make recompense for my wastage.

The coconut milk is a few months out of date so I have opened it. It had solidified, so I spooned it into a shaker and did a rumba round the kitchen for a while till the solid lumps tried to re-integrate themselves. I eventually halved it, added 50% water and did a cha-cha whilst shaking and now have a decent enough drink. It is VERY rich so I wont be drinking lot of it.

I will eat fresh food beyond its sell by date, because I can see and smell it - if it smells wrong, bin it. Until recently I poo pooed friends who let sell by dates rule their lives. However, the reason I am now cautious of canned food is because of cost-cutting measures in manufacturing and I am no longer as trusting of the quality of the tins our food is put into. There are reports on the internet of the creation of toxic substances in the cans, which can be harmful to the consumer - some old tins can be fatal - botulism was identified in tins a few decades ago.

So, thanks to you guys' advice, yet again, i'll be drinking my coconut milk - whether I can drink it all before I decide enough is enough is another matter.

I

Last edited:
in my truck there is a tin of prunes about ten years out of date . if i eat them will they give me the runs?
they would when they were fresh . think my ex must have bought them . only been divorced 10 years so it makes sense time wise .
she used to love them . shame i thought it was me she should have loved . i do. ha ha

like you alan I have experienced eating tinned food which was canned a very long time ago and have suffered no ill effects - in the 1960's my father bought an Open All Hours grocers shop and in the cellar he found baked beans from the early 1950's which we ate and were fine.

I am happy to eat food from tins which are a short time out of date, but, sadly some of these items I have found today were 2-3 years old and I threw them out. It was grievous thing to do, when so many are hungry, and I will do something to make recompense for my wastage.

The coconut milk is a few months out of date so I have opened it. It had solidified, so I spooned it into a shaker and did a rumba round the kitchen for a while till the solid lumps tried to re-integrate themselves. I eventually halved it, added 50% water and did a cha-cha whilst shaking and now have a decent enough drink. It is VERY rich so I wont be drinking lot of it.

I will eat fresh food beyond its sell by date, because I can see and smell it - if it smells wrong, bin it. Until recently I poo pooed friends who let sell by dates rule their lives. However, the reason I am now cautious of canned food is because of cost-cutting measures in manufacturing and I am no longer as trusting of the quality of the tins our food is put into. There are reports on the internet of the creation of toxic substances in the cans, which can be harmful to the consumer - some old tins can be fatal - botulism was identified in tins a few decades ago.

So, thanks to you guys' advice, yet again, i'll be drinking my coconut milk - whether I can drink it all before I decide enough is enough is another matter.

I

I'd be chucking a couple of ounces of rum in with that - maybe a few ice cubes on a hot day:cheers:

Pat

Last edited:

I

Blimey, are you into cannibalism:scared::scared:?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back