clips/catches for dinette table? 12volt reading lamp?

milton

We now have our first camper van, a Vauxhall panel van conversion, which is on the driveway being kitted out for this year's adventures. The only really irritating problem appears to be the dinette table, one of those which clips on to a rail on the side wall. The trouble is it doesn't clip on properly, it's held by just two sort of metal hooks which can't cope with the slightest pressure on the side of the table: it twists and tips. When we had a Sprite caravan years ago we had a similar table that had two metal spring catches holding it on. The only similar things I have seen to buy are sliding plastic, not spring catches, and overpriced for the quality at about £5.50 each!
Does anybody know please where we can get the proper old-fashioned type? Used ones would be fine, as long as they prevent the table tipping my dinner into my lap.

We are also looking for a 12volt reading lamp that clips on so it can be moved around the van - it's no good having a fixed one because of the descending bed. The local caravan shops had nothing at all suitable, and the only other one's I have seen are more like little map reading lights and a bit small, so if anybody knows of a good online link for one it would be appreciated.

I'm sure there will be more stuff we need help with, every time I go out into the van I see something else we haven't thought of. Any advice will be greatly received.

Thanks

Milton's crew

We are also looking for a 12volt reading lamp that clips on so it can be moved around the van - it's no good having a fixed one because of the descending bed. The local caravan shops had nothing at all suitable, and the only other one's I have seen are more like little map reading lights and a bit small, so if anybody knows of a good online link for one it would be appreciated.
I used one like this: Black Halogen Clip Spot
It's actually a mains lamp but the bulb is a 12v G4 halogen. and it runs off a transformer. I just cut the transformer off, fitted a cig lighter plug, and changed the 20W halogen for an LED bulb.

If you Google 'clip on desk lamp' you'll find loads, just make sure that they have a 12v bulb and don't have the transformer built in!

AndyC

Hi Milton

I cannot help with the table, Maybe Rainbow Convertions have something but try Aldi or Lidl for the LED light. They are battery powered, last for ever and have hooks and magnets so attach to anything.

Richard

Thanks for the advice folks. I have had a look at the table catches offered and they look like what we have already seen, but at a lower price so we may go with them. I'll follow up the lights as recommended.

Gill (half of Milton's crew)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back