Cherbourg or Santander?

The Bay of Biscay has very frequent storms in winter. Even if lower winds there will still be a lot of swell off the Atlantic. It is known for choppy waves due to the sea floor in the bay. So I think your French route is better especially in winter. If you have to park up due to rain at least the van wont be swaying around.

i believe old fogeys discount is 60+ but not used it for a few years
here you go
F91C0EC2-55AA-4FF3-ADDD-73F6930C8FA9.jpeg

Personally I'd do 1 week in france on the way down. 6 weeks in spain. One week in france on the way back. And I'd use the tunnel and have more spending money.

This is what we do. Tunnel (using Tesco vouchers) then down the west route of France. 6 weeks and a bit in Spain and then back up through the middle of France. By March, when we return, more places are opening up in France so there are numerous decent options for places to stay.

Well, you'd all (nearly all) recommended the Cherbourg option and so I decided that. But a month later that's impossible 'cos we're not allowed to drive into France. Glad I didn't book.
I was planning to leave in a couple of weeks from now. If France opens again, I'll go Poole - Cherbourg, otherwise it will be Portsmouth-Santander. But if Covid gets worse in Spain I'll do nothing until it gets better again. I don't want to get stuck in Spain if there's a lockdown there.

An advantage of Santander is you only have to satisfy Covid protocols and tests for Spain and not France as well !
If you are content to use France I would use the tunnel (as has been suggested)

We like going via France, but mindful of the weather, we got caught out with a snow storm once that came off the Pyreneee and had to be rescued. But that’s another story.

We are supposed to be leaving for Spain via France and the tunnel, next week. By the looks I shall be postponing the trip on Thursday. I'll ask the tunnel to convert my crossing back into a voucher (it was in a voucher after last years cancelled trip) and I'm sure the campsites where we have paid a deposit will hang onto them until we get down there.

We will be going as soon as we can any time up until late April. As we go for 2 months, after that it will be too warm for my wife come the back end of the trip.

Well, you'd all (nearly all) recommended the Cherbourg option and so I decided that. But a month later that's impossible 'cos we're not allowed to drive into France. Glad I didn't book.
I was planning to leave in a couple of weeks from now. If France opens again, I'll go Poole - Cherbourg, otherwise it will be Portsmouth-Santander. But if Covid gets worse in Spain I'll do nothing until it gets better again. I don't want to get stuck in Spain if there's a lockdown there.
Thought Poole-Cherbourg wasn't operating till end March?

I postponed our trip yesterday as we are out all today, so no Spain for us in the immediate future until travel restrictions ease. :cry:

We are the same regards France, we were supposed to go 29th December through tunnel. We have a dog and won't use the atrocious kennels on the ferries. Dog friendly cabins are always booked well in advance and none available when I looked.
Regarding fuel I get between 25 and 30 -2.3 fiat
though had a 2.8 iveco engine before which struggled to get 19 mpg. 14/15 being the norm.

We have booked Cherbourg with dog friendly cabins; we live in S Wales. Outward is just after Easter but I am not sure it's going to happen if the Covid situation doesn't settle down. We have flexible tickets so all will not be lost if we have to postpone or cancel.

Beginning to think any European trips even in the summer will be fraut with covid issues.
Even though they may be manageable....It simply (almost) confirms our plans to sell up sometime over the summer.
Wait and see but ????

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back