Cheap invertors

Delboy

Are bog standard 12v invertors good enough to charge laptop batteries? Because I believe I read that they are not good enough to run a laptop directly, is this right?

Are bog standard 12v invertors good enough to charge laptop batteries? Because I believe I read that they are not good enough to run a laptop directly, is this right?
We have cheap Maplin 150w inverter which charges laptop happily. However when the computer is on it is not so happy making a noise to indicate that the leisure battery is runnung low - which it isn't.
We do not use a computer a lot when we are away but tend to charge it only when we are not using it - it makes for a more peaceful life:D

Unfortunately there is no one correct answer.

By bog-standard, what do you mean. Sinewave inverter or squarewave inverter? 150W continuous or 300W or 500W.

Whatever inverter you get, it should specifically state that the output and input are electrically isolated. Most are, but some aren't and stuff purchased overseas is likely to be more suspect.

The average laptop draws about 80 Watts so depending how the charging system is arranged, plugging in a flat computer and using it at the same time could draw close to double the nominal rating and MIGHT be too much for a 150W inverter with no fat in its ratings.

Computer power supplies are designed to run on just about any crappy power supply between 100VAC and 300VAC so a cheap squarewave inverter doesn't usually pose a great threat, but you won't know until you try it and by then it might be too late.

If finances permit, a sinewive inverter will be the safest option and will also allow you to use any phone and powertool chargers as well.

Another option is to buy one of those 12Vdc to 12-15-18-21-24VDC computer supplies that come with several plugs to suit all sorts of laptops. Then you can't use it for anything else and there is always the risk of setting it for the wrong output voltage and destroying your laptop.

I got one of those laptop chargers from Maplin for about £20. Its great. I wont have an invertor on board as the use too much power. What I tend to do is charge the laptop when on the move from the engine battery cigar lighter socket, saving more leisure battery power still. or as I tend to use the laptop in the dinette when it needs a boost just plug it back in the engine battery. Seems to work fine.

another option is to buy one of those 12Vdc to 12-15-18-21-24VDC computer supplies that come with several plugs to suit all sorts of laptops.

Cheers that may be the best option. And I can also watch the TV via the laptop!

Fire Mountain Solar sells deep cycle solar batteries for less. We carry Trojan deep cycle batteries, deep cycle battery charger, 12v solar battery charger and more.

Solar Batteries
-Concorde Sun-Xtender
-HuP Solar One
-Surrette
-Trojan

The Lowest Price for a Propane Refrigerator, Gas Refrigerator and on Compact Freezers and Mini Freezers

Refrigerators Freezers
-Propane Refrigerator
-Electric Refrigerators
-Propane Freezers
Fire Mountain solar offers home backup generators for less. Kohler propane generators are the best remote backup power generator and home backup generator available.

Backup Generator
-Kohler

Fire Mountain Solar sells Micro Hydroelectric water turbines for less. Micro hydro power generation for your remote off grid or grid tie site.

Micro Hydro Power
-Harris Hydro
Trace Inverters, Xantrex Inverter, Solar Charge Controller, Pure Sine Wave Inverters

Power Inverters
-Outback Power Inverter
-Sunny Boy Power Inverter
-Fronius Power Inverter
-Exeltech Power Inverter
-Blue Sky Charge Controller
-Morningstar Charge Controller
-Xantrex Power Inverter (now Schneider Electric)

Complete Renewable Energy System Packages

Complete Renewable Energy System Packages
-Solar Panels
-Wind Generator
Fire Mountain Solar has solar panel products with free tech support. We also offer RV solar panel, home solar panels, pool solar panel and home solar power.

Solar Panels
-BP Solar
-Canadian Solar (CSI)
-Evergreen Solar
-Mitsubishi Electric
-Sanyo Solar Products
-Sharp
-Silicon Energy
-Solar World
-SunTech Solar
-Yingli Solar
-Complete Packages

Photovoltaic Racks and Solar Trackers for Home Solar Systems, RV Solar Panels and Commercial Solar Power Panels

Solar Panel Racks
-Fixed Solar Racks
-Solar Trackers
Home Water Filters and Well Water Pumps, Plastic Septic Tanks and Plastic Water Storage Tanks, Solar Water Pumps and Shurflo Diaphram Pumps for Less

Water Pumps & Filters
-Water Pumps
-Sediment Water Filters

Home Wind Generators, Whisper Wind Turbine and Wind Generator Towers

Wind Generators
-Air Wind Generator
-Skystream Wind Generator
-Whisper Wind Turbine
-Wind Generator Tower Kits
Solar Hot Water Heaters, Solar Hot Water Panel, Passive Solar Water Heater

Solar Hot Water
-ProgressivTube Solar Water Heater
-SunEarth Empire Solar Collector
-SunEarth Controller

Everything you need for your home solar panels or power inverter, propane refrigerator and Deep Cycle Solar Batteries
Other Products and Information
-Battery Cables
-Remote System Monitors
-Valuable Links
-Customer Comments
-FMS News

About Fire Mountain Solar.........

Fire Mountain Solar is a family-owned and operated business started in 2001 with the vision of sharing our experience of solar power being a viable and worthwhile investment for homes and businesses in the maritime Northwest. Since then our vision and scope have steadily expanded. Today, we help make solar, wind and micro hydro power generation a reality across the U.S., by offering complete design assistance for do-it-yourselfers or those who prefer to work with their own electrician, and installation services within the state of Washington. We also ship renewable and alternative energy products to end users and renewable energy contractors nationwide. And of course, if you need expert technical support before, during and after your system is installed, we're here for that too.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back