Cheap 150W Inverter

advice needed

hi all, i've been considering getting myself an inverter, just something to power a tv and other small appliances,
but im as ignorant as sh*t about these things.
I dont like the, "plug into the cigar lighter idea"
can one be wired in properly etc?
any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
sundown

Inverter

I had my 1 KW Inverter installed professionally a few days ago. Tried it out yesterday and it works great. He installed it along side by the 2 leisure batteries, run wires under the flooring, using rubber gromits for sealing the holes and up under the side where the kitchen is, and put in a 3 pin socket and a 2 pin socket (German MH) so I can use German or English plugs.
All I need to do is switch the rocker on or off when ever I need to use the Inverter.

Good advice guy's seek professional help with these inverters
the can result in severe injury and even death if installed poorly
don't let the 12volt thingy misslead you

I had my 1 KW Inverter installed professionally a few days ago. Tried it out yesterday and it works great. He installed it along side by the 2 leisure batteries, run wires under the flooring, using rubber gromits for sealing the holes and up under the side where the kitchen is, and put in a 3 pin socket and a 2 pin socket (German MH) so I can use German or English plugs.
All I need to do is switch the rocker on or off when ever I need to use the Inverter.
Thanks for your answer D&A can you tell me what i should expect to pay for a 1kw inverter, installed?
what appliances can it run ?
and how long before it flattens the battery?
& thanks for your saftey concerns MW. but I dont think I would try to fit one myself
sundown

Hi Sundown,:), Don't know the cost but do know that a decent one will not flatten your battery as they have a safety cut out that stops drawing power when your battery drops to a certain voltage (say 11volts).

P.S. I think a 1000 watt inverter would run a small village in the highlands for about a week:eek::D:D

Hi Sundown,:), Don't know the cost but do know that a decent one will not flatten your battery as they have a safety cut out that stops drawing power when your battery drops to a certain voltage (say 11volts).

P.S. I think a 1000 watt inverter would run a small village in the highlands for about a week:eek::D:D
that figures lenny!
a small village in the highlands has only one TV,
and a shared vacumm cleaner

:cool: :cool: sundown

that figures lenny!
a small village in the highlands has only one TV,
and a shared vacumm cleaner

:cool: :cool: sundown

:D Yeah ,and I suppose the vacuum cleaner doubles up as a hairdryer for the lady folk:eek:

Thanks for your answer D&A can you tell me what i should expect to pay for a 1kw inverter, installed?
what appliances can it run ?
and how long before it flattens the battery?
& thanks for your saftey concerns MW. but I dont think I would try to fit one myself
sundown

Hi Sundown, I live in a small Cornish seaside village, up the road is another tiny town called Scorrier, We have 2 places that sell MH's and also another place that repairs MH's. Since I know the lads, with his advice I done all the donkey work of bolting the Inverter in place and laying the wires and screwing on the wall sockets. I then took it over to him and he done all the connections to Inverter and switches. He also fitted a fuse so if the Inverter was over loaded it would trip out. Cost me £10. My Inverter is mainly used to charge up my Cell phone, run my TV/VCR/DVD and Laptop. I have never used it for any electrical goods like kettles, so really wouldn't know about the max it can support. As I only wild camp and do not plug in on site, I have 2 x 180H leisure batteries charged by 2 x 60w Solar panels, I find sufficent to keep me out of trouble. When at home, that is the only time I plug in to mains for the batteries.

"Warning" Sum Technical Stuff.

Hi All.

Invertors usually have two ratings, "continuous" and "peak", which is usualy about double. The continuous rate is the important one. They are usually sold based on there continuous rate but I have seen them advertised (on fleabay) on thier peak rate. I.e. a 150W (continuous) advertised as a 300W. Small point but worth checking before you buy.

Just some observations about power consumption and wiring.

150W output = 300W peak Assume 85% efficiency Input = 350W approx, at 12V = 30Amps approx.

Therefore even if wiring in a 150w invertor it's wize to mount it as near to the battery as possible, using 30A+ rated wiring and a fuse with 15A continuous/30A blow rating.

Invertors are quite power hungry and consume power even if switched on but not in use, quite a bit on the higher powered ones, so it pays to switch inverter off when not inuse. If permanently fixed, a remote switch can be useful, (job pending on mine).

Maplins do one, same price, had one for a year great for laptop charging phones and rechargable lamps.

Does the Maplins one also have a cooling fan ?
I picked up this one from Aldi today, but the cooling fan is pretty noisy and i'm thinking about taking it back.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back