Charging a laptop on the hoof.

GMJ

We don't have an inverter in the MH so I need to be able to charge my laptop when we are driving, for when we are away from an EHU for more than a day.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a gizmo that can plug into the cigarette lighter and do this? The laptop is an Acer Aspire 3 btw.

Thanks

Thanks

I bought one that claimed to fit my laptop however it didn't. It had similar plugs to the one in the link above but the power plug into mine isn't like the one in the photo though. It seems to be smaller..

1722579840828.png

Attachments

• 1722579840957.png
    1722579840957.png
    786.5 KB · Views: 16
Haven't got the details to hand, but over the years I've had three 12v chargers, a universal one which had selectable voltage and a selection of plugs, a specific one for my old Dell, nowadays I use a USB-c charger which does the laptop and phones, if your laptop will charge from one of these it is probably the best option.
All have worked well and judging by how cool the chargers runs appear to be more efficient than mains chargers.

Just had a rummage and my old Dell specific one came from Power4laptops, they should have one to suit your Acer.

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
Haven't got the details to hand, but over the years I've had three 12v chargers, a universal one which had selectable voltage and a selection of plugs, a specific one for my old Dell, nowadays I use a USB-c charger which does the laptop and phones, if your laptop will charge from one of these it is probably the best option.
All have worked well and judging by how cool the chargers runs appear to be more efficient than mains chargers.

That acer is clearly not usb c though. Graham needs either a specific charger with that very small end or a universal one with the right end as an option. They can be tricky to source.

• Thank You
That acer is clearly not usb c though. Graham needs either a specific charger with that very small end or a universal one with the right end as an option. They can be tricky to source.
The Aspire 3 is available in several different guises ( I have one as well as Dell) certain models can be charged by USB-c, without the specific model number I wouldn't know.

The Aspire 3 is available in several different guises ( I have one as well as Dell) certain models can be charged by USB-c, without the specific model number I wouldn't know.

I was going on the photo Graham posted further up of his connection

I was going on the photo Graham posted further up of his connection
The power socket on my Acer Swift 1 is a very small diameter and not included in the 2 adaptor kits I have. They are (were?) available online but I forget where from, probably ebay.

Use this with your normal charger then sine won't matter . No need to worry about adaptors either I've used this for yrs with my HP

Last edited:
I have a different laptop, and it’s proven hit and miss charging from 12v fag lighters.

I use an EcoFlow (it’s an expensive option for just charging the laptop) and it also gives me other options, such as running an electric kettle which I can plug in before bed then switch on via the app in the morning and only go to the galley as it boils.

If that’s the way you chose to go drop me a message as I have some vouchers you can claim.

Thanks all.

I think I've sussed it out now with the help of various forums and some research. I need a 3mm x 1.1mm plug and plug in chargers to suit my voltage and amperage (19v and 2.75A) seem readily available from a tenner or so. We are away from tomorrow so I'll sort one out when I get back.

Thanks all.

I think I've sussed it out now with the help of various forums and some research. I need a 3mm x 1.1mm plug and plug in chargers to suit my voltage and amperage (19v and 2.75A) seem readily available from a tenner or so. We are away from tomorrow so I'll sort one out when I get back.

Check the reviews and get the best quality one you can find. A tenner is extremely cheap. Too cheap imo.

• Thank You
Late to the party here, as usual, but I got a 12v lead for my Acer Aspire a few years back from Maplins, cost me over £20 - then I spotted the exact same one, same brand, in Morrisons for £15 a few days later.

Check the reviews and get the best quality one you can find. A tenner is extremely cheap. Too cheap imo.
A tenner is easily enough to make a good one, test it and retail it. However, if there is a huge marketing budget to pay for and a lot of greedy middlemen, a tenner will only get shoddy rubbish.

The problem is how to find out which it is? A big brand name guarantees a big marketing budget, but also mean a maker wants to keep their brand reputation.

I've always bought cheap ones, never had a problem with the actual charger.

In my experience of 12v laptop chargers, the problem is always with the cigar lighter plug connection. Those sockets are designed for high loads for a short time, not for hours on end. The "ears" don't grip well enough to hold the end connector firmly against the socket connector and they get hot.

Whenever possible, get one with the electronics on a separate box (not built into the plug) , so you can cut the plug off and connect it properly with a fuse and a switch if necessary.

Try to get one that is rated for at least 65watts.

Not relevant for this OP, but be very careful about choosing chargers for HP laptops. They are extra picky about chargers: a reason to avoid the brand, in my opinion.

Nowadays, the problem is far easier: modern laptops run off PD USBc connectors.

A tenner is easily enough to make a good one, test it and retail it. However, if there is a huge marketing budget to pay for and a lot of greedy middlemen, a tenner will only get shoddy rubbish.

The problem is how to find out which it is? A big brand name guarantees a big marketing budget, but also mean a maker wants to keep their brand reputation.

I've always bought cheap ones, never had a problem with the actual charger.

In my experience of 12v laptop chargers, the problem is always with the cigar lighter plug connection. Those sockets are designed for high loads for a short time, not for hours on end. The "ears" don't grip well enough to hold the end connector firmly against the socket connector and they get hot.

Whenever possible, get one with the electronics on a separate box (not built into the plug) , so you can cut the plug off and connect it properly with a fuse and a switch if necessary.

Try to get one that is rated for at least 65watts.

Not relevant for this OP, but be very careful about choosing chargers for HP laptops. They are extra picky about chargers: a reason to avoid the brand, in my opinion.

Nowadays, the problem is far easier: modern laptops run off PD USBc connectors.

Dell used to be really picky about chargers also. Michelle had one for years. Great laptop but it took a while to get a 12v charger that it would accept.

Dell used to be really picky about chargers also. Michelle had one for years. Great laptop but it took a while to get a 12v charger that it would accept.
My two latest Dells both charge through USB-c, the older one came with a Dell charger with round plug, but I found out it could actually charge from USB, the latest came with a USB charger.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back