Channel Tunnel blockages

Jo001

We are planning to come home from Europe in mid November but Mr 001 is getting twitchy because the news is reporting possible blockages at the tunnel over fishing rights.

My view is that it the news sources are making their usually ”drama out of a crisis” to sell copy, and that it will likely be resolved (by agreement or by force) by mid November - and if it isn't we could sail from Dunkirk.

He thinks I'm being blasé about it and wants to turn home now.

Does anyone have a reliable source to see how likely it is that we will be stopped from getting home?

If he is really stressed you could book a very ferry crossing from the Netherlands and then sit back and enjoy your remaining time.

I agree with you that is probably exaggerated but if its spoiling your trip that is what matters and not whether the agro happens or not

Problem with the Netherlands is I couldn't leave the dog in the kennel area (too stressy) and I'd be unlikely to get a dog friendly cabin at this stage. I still think Dunkirk might be an option though.

If its blocked I guess they will just divert you to a ferry anyway wont they? We had this once when leaving the UK. There was a problem with the tunnel so we were just advised to go down to Dover and got on the next ferry with no charge. As we seldom use ferries I found it a nice change. I think we paid a small amount to use a posh lounge whilst on board too.

No point in been there if all it's doing is causing stress. It is supposed to be a pleasure for both of you. Just finish off your time in the UK.

If its blocked I guess they will just divert you to a ferry anyway wont they? We had this once when leaving the UK. There was a problem with the tunnel so we were just advised to go down to Dover and got on the next ferry with no charge. As we seldom use ferries I found it a nice change. I think we paid a small amount to use a posh lounge whilst on board too.

It`s the Club Lounge and very nice it is too.

Reactions: GMJ
Thanks all. Apparently they are planning to block access to the Calais ferries too, but like I said, there's always Dunkirk. I'm not keen to turn back from Spain, having just got here, if I can avoid it.

Reactions: GMJ
At the present time there are no 'details' on when or if the blockade will go ahead, if you head for channel right now you might run straight in to it, so I'd just carry on as normal. If the blockade does go ahead you can give yourselves a bit of leeway with time on return you can just hole up near Calais until it calms down

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back