Channa's Chicken Biryani (Real deal )

Channa

I thought it was the real deal the recipe shared by an Asian friend of mine. However the local ladies curious as to what i was up too, Disagreed I think ...iI couln't tell you after the conversation slipped into punjabi.

Anyway my version of Chicken Biryani. (2 people but easy to bilk out for more )

For the Biryani

1lb 450 g of chicken breast or leg meat off the bone
knob of butter
couple of cardomoms and a couple of cloves
half a onion chopped fine
i pint of chicken stock (i overdo it and use two stock cubes )
1 heaped tsp of Garam Masala
2/3rds a tsp of chilli powder
mug and a half of tilda basmati rice (down to you if you soak it and wash the starch )

Method (i feel like i am back at skool)

metal casserole type dish with glass lid will do or a large saucepan with lid

1. fry off the butter gently adding the cardomoms and cloves .

2 add the chopped fine onion on a gentle heat let sweat down

3 add chicken give it a good stir turn heat up a tad we want the chicken nicely sealed.

4 add the chilli powder, garam masala pinch of salt .. cook out the spices for a minute or two you know they are cooked when yo see the seperation in the butter.

5 add the chicken stock and bring to the boil

6 add the rice let the stock come to the boil and turn right down to a gentle simmer.

7 take the lid to the pan wrap in a tea towel and place on top ......leave well alone now no peeking kills it ...leave for 25 minutes

8 read no 7 again no peeping

Now we have 25 mins to make the sauce !

1) in a large frying pan , melt another knob of butter, add a large sliced onion and sliced green capsicum pepper

2 When the onions start to caramalise and take a bit of colour add pureed ideally chopped will do garlic and ginger ...a good dessert spoon of each and let it cook off

3 add sliced green chilli i find 3 for two people gives the right balance but play about to taste , remember we want to taste the spices not be overpowered by chilli

4 Add half a dessertspoon of ground coriander half a dessertspoon of ground cumin . and let it cook

5 heat down a bit add fresh yoghurt and stir knocking the heat off to stop it curdling but matters not taste not affected

6 add chopped fresh tomato i use 3 or 4 typically , i add 2 let them cook down then add another two that way finished dish has a bit more texture

7 we should be at the 25 min mark ....add chopped fresh coriander (little tip slice the leaves once otherwise flavour left on the chopping board ) take a teaspoon of garam masala hold in one hand and tap the hand so the masala seasons the dish .

8 serve it all up and enjoy.

A couple of points , this is quite a filling dish , if there are more people easy to pad out with breads, bhaji etc . for the ground spices I grind my own beforehand in a coffee blender but can be bought in powder form .. my recommendation is a brand called Rajah seem to keep the flavour better than others.

Resist the supermarkets, if you are in an area with an Asian population or passing Asian supermarkets cheap as you like this dish i can cook for well under a fiver ..and the spices you got for next time ..

i hope you have a go and love to hear the feed back

Channa

Just flicking back thruugh the pages and realised Ii never posted a picture of this dish ....so here you are.

I made this one at work, as a tester, but made exactly the same way as described above.

003.jpg

Channa

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back