Cast Iron Cookware, U.K.

Little Kopit

I'm a returning member with plans to visit the UK after retirement at some indefinite time in the future.

I cook outside with charcoal on a 'table' with cast iron Camp or Dutch Oven.

I see no aids to posting links or images, so I'll wing it.

My cast iron section in my photo album is here: http://www.lynnestcalbums.phanfare.com/album/175391#imageID=10266939

The only cast iron in that section which is mine and North American is here:

file.jpg

Those are called spiders. The bottom one has no gate & is probably 20th century. The other two have a gate and are likely 19th century, but flat topped, thus North American.

The other photos in that section are ovens owned by Aussie friends.

Aussie ovens have a rounded lid, which also bastes the contents, as flat tops don't always do.

I'd like to know how to find out more U.K. camp ovens. I know Falkirk was a U.K. Foundry. Some Falkirk items are turning up in Australia.

Do any of you cook this way? Can you tell me where to go next?

------------

I should note, I post for others and to host pics other things, which means the pics are taken by more than me.

:)

That was Poddy Dodger's work.

Let's see, where did I post that for him. I think I'll have to ask him. If you go into the album, bring up a specific pic, to the right of the picture, you see 'view details', you can see the date I added.

I looked at two forums where I would be most likely to post it, since it's a "how do you carry' issue. I shall still have to ask PD.

Beyond, make sure the container is completely empty, I'm not going to say.

Little Kopit said:
That was Poddy Dodger's work.

Let's see, where did I post that for him. I think I'll have to ask him. If you go into the album, bring up a specific pic, to the right of the picture, you see 'view details', you can see the date I added.

I looked at two forums where I would be most likely to post it, since it's a "how do you carry' issue. I shall still have to ask PD.

Beyond, make sure the container is completely empty, I'm not going to say.

it sounds a bit dodgy mate..

i dont fancy cuttin a gas bottle up.. sounds a bit mental..

heavy

Seems a lot of wieght to carry around, talk about spilling the BEANS if that
topples over:eek:

Who ever thought glass. To be polite, that's way too much. That propane container is in Australia. It could be different than yours. While you're attacking, Poddy Dodger is down under and a request for information has been sent.

The rig is a truck camper on a 1-ton Toyota pick up. Kindly go look before you say anything else.
file.jpg

Very difficult to appreciate being disparaged out of hand. Thank you no. & your choice of words is very disparaging to me. It would be much better to ask questions than to attack a side issue.

Believe me I cook on cast iron every day. We all have our priorities. & there are many kinds of camping. What I want to know is if I can get any help in finding out about cast iron camping cookware in the U.K., historically, if not presently.

:(

Last edited:
Little Kopit said:
Who ever thought glass. To be polite, that's way too much. That propane container is in Australia. It could be different than yours. While you're attacking, Poddy Dodger is down under and a request for information has been sent.

The rig is a truck camper on a 1-ton Toyota pick up. Kindly go look before you say anything else.
file.jpg

Very difficult to appreciate being disparaged out of hand. Thank you no. & your choice of words is very disparaging to me. It would be much better to ask questions than to attack a side issue.

Believe me I cook on cast iron every day. We all have our priorities. & there are many kinds of camping. What I want to know is if I can get any help in finding out about cast iron camping cookware in the U.K., historically, if not presently.

:(
Well said little Koppit (have a bottle of Keiths on me) there seems to alot of dismissing out of hand on here of late.
I allways thought it was supposed to be a pool for information and knowledge regarding wild camping in vans/ motorhomes , you post your thread and if anyone has any usefull info to add they reply if not dont "simple"
KD
these guys sell them over http://www.countrytrader.co.uk/
hope this is of some use to you

Last edited:
Monkeynut, you're heading in the direction of what I'm looking for. But OMG, what the price. Given that your currency is about 2.10 ours, that makes ovens that are only aluminum more than double what I would pay. Have a look at this site:

http://rvingoutpost.com/cooksupplieslist.php?department=Campfire Cooking Gear

But that does show a flat lid. That's part of the information I'm looking for.

I'd like to find some old ones, information to see the style.

& monkeynut, this Canuck says thank you very much for your support.

i've cut a gas bottle to make a compressor reciever tank :eek: but i'de go and buy cast iron cookware if i wanted it. prefer ali myself. cheap and disposable when you burn it. sound like little kopit has spent to much time with the eskimos. no offence little kopit but we got gas and stuff in the uk. we dont use open fires so no need for heavy duty cookware.

john

bound to get some response!!!!!!!!!!!

A Couple of points about cooking with cast iron.

1. Taste. That's why I cook with it most days.

2. Relaxing when you're on the road. Making the evening meal a big part of your evening relaxation.

The biggest bunch of Dutch/Camp oven users on this continent is in the southwest U.S.

Older pots are getting bought up. Older pots are even harder to find in Australia.

Little Kopit said:
A Couple of points about cooking with cast iron.

1. Taste. That's why I cook with it most days.

2. Relaxing when you're on the road. Making the evening meal a big part of your evening relaxation.

The biggest bunch of Dutch/Camp oven users on this continent is in the southwest U.S.

Older pots are getting bought up. Older pots are even harder to find in Australia.

most motorhomes in the uk have a relatively small payload that is the main reason i think you will find that cast iron stoves are not popular with us they are just too heavy.

walkers said:
most motorhomes in the uk have a relatively small payload that is the main reason i think you will find that cast iron stoves are not popular with us they are just too heavy.
yes i agree unfortunately as i bet its great to cook on one of them eh!!!!
food always tastes best when cooked properly...sammx

sammclouis said:
yes i agree unfortunately as i bet its great to cook on one of them eh!!!!
food always tastes best when cooked properly...sammx
straight from the water, on ti the fire.. dinner yummmmmmm yummmmmmmm

Last edited:
It's a question of priorities.

I'm a vertically challenged TCer. That is person with a truck camper. Now, my TC doesn't even have a cabover bed. But it sure is lots more room than when I was camping with just a wooden cap.

I have an inside stove, rarely used, enamelled metal dish set, divided in two - 1/2 inside set, 1/2 outside set. Fast heat white gas stoves from backpacking days, plus the slow cook Camp Ovens. I usually only take two on the road. My table, ($19.99 special from Canadian Tire) rides behind the truck seat.

But see my family is me and two dogs.

So, I sure have less room than most of you. In this province wild camping is called gravel pit camping, elsewhere on the continent it's boondocking. That's my preferred style. I like cooking outdoors and sharing the evening with my dogs.

Little Kopit said:
It's a question of priorities.

I'm a vertically challenged TCer. That is person with a truck camper. Now, my TC doesn't even have a cabover bed. But it sure is lots more room than when I was camping with just a wooden cap.

I have an inside stove, rarely used, enamelled metal dish set, divided in two - 1/2 inside set, 1/2 outside set. Fast heat white gas stoves from backpacking days, plus the slow cook Camp Ovens. I usually only take two on the road. My table, ($19.99 special from Canadian Tire) rides behind the truck seat.

But see my family is me and two dogs.

So, I sure have less room than most of you. In this province wild camping is called gravel pit camping, elsewhere on the continent it's boondocking. That's my preferred style. I like cooking outdoors and sharing the evening with my dogs.

Cooking on an open fire is frowned on over here on this cramped Island (sad really)and campsites that allow you to cook on open fires are very few between , a far cry from my trips over to NS NB and PEI
Have you seen one of these before its a kinda modern version of a dutch oven
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=116
KD
Allso try here bloody expensive though but they have them (dutch ovens) with domed lids
http://www.headcook.co.uk/lodge-logic-dutch-oven-1025-p-2069.html

Last edited:
Open fire, no!!! Not on the ground, not in a fire pit, not me. Although for some that is the only way.

Go back and look at the pics in my album again. http://www.lynnestcalbums.phanfare.com/album/175391#imageID=14625554

& go look at this: http://www.lynnestcalbums.phanfare.com/show/external/175391/224349/18611061/file.jpg
With my arthritic knees I don't want to be down on the deck. And that passes fire regulations in a lot of places. At the moment if I need it I use flashing (as for house construction) and a huge paper clip as a wind break, but I've a large Camp Oven Mate http://www.southern-metal-spinners.com.au/camp_oven.htm en route from Oz. Aussie friends who have them say it really saves on the charcoal, if you use that.
---
Re. that stove top Lodge, that's a U.S. manufacturer. It hasn't headed to China, that we know of yet. In the house, that, in the house, not a lid to hold coals, no flange at the edge.

But you see the Aussie Oven lids are rounded, while the N. American ones are flat, old time and present time. and the 'ears' for the bail or wire handle are different too.

What I'd like to know is what are old time camping ovens shaped like.

Sort of looking a old traditions.

I know there still is a Dutch Oven tradition in the Netherlands, but it's small and the new ovens.

---
Re the other pot, sorry. yuk. Yes, I know some are happy with aluminum ovens, but not me. I like cast iron.

As you see I have a really chronic feronic fixation disorder.

paulamy, how did you locate IDOS? Yes, I'm a member, Most of them are in Western US. I'm not 1/2 as wrapped up in it as a lot of that crew.

;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back