Cash withdrawal abroad

marrwyck

Hi everyone.

We were wondering if whilst in Europe if most of you just go to hole in wall & draw money out in Euro's etc or if there was a better way to get more Euro's for your money :D

We always take our Nationwide cash card, no charges for withdrawing money from ATMs and you get a better exchange rate than the tourist rate:)

Hint

You can pay almost everywhere overhere with a VISA-card. (Most shops, all supermarkets, petrol stations and restaurants, and without extra exchange costs). If you draw money out of the wall, the bank will charge you with exchange costs of about 10% - depending the bank :mad:
If you buy for e.g 70 € in a supermarket, use Visa, ask to round the bill to 100€ and you get 30€ cash without any cost. Here on the continent most shops and supermarkets are happy to get rid of their cash money for safety reasons. :)

get a nationwide visa debit card we always use one for trips abroad only and there is no fees for withdrawing cash at any machine or for purchaces in europe
i think abbey also do the same deal as they are a spanish bank i think

On the radio (BBC) this week, Martin Lewis (money expert) was saying that we will incure a currency conversion charge if we pay by card.
Maybe different for you as you already use the Euro
You're right about that *****; no problems in €.
But before the € there where conversion charges here too which could be avoided using a card like Visa, Masters in shops... ( Visa applies conversion rates of the day, without extra charge). Only when pulling money directly out off the wall the local banks made extra currency conversion charges. I reccon this is still the case with £ > € (we did have that in non-€ countries like Denmark, Sweden).
Money, money... it doesn't make man happy - maybe I could be happier :(

good advice check out your card first
i think you will find some debit cards dont have the same handeling charges that credit cards do

Get a Nationwide Visa card - you know it makes sense :D

Nationwide were definetley worth looking into.

Have also looked at pre-paid cards specifically for travelling.

Thxs for all your thoughts :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back