carpe diem

• Thread starter Deleted member 4053
  • Start date

Deleted member 4053

This phrase was carved on one of the buildings I have seen recently.

Any Translations for it?

Anyone seen any other interesting phrases on buildings?

weez
Tony

Carpe diem is Latin and is generally translated as 'seize the day'. Meaning never put off til tomorrow what you can do today because life is short.

The only answer to that is

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus vntosissimis exponebantur ad necem

In the good old days, children like you were left to perish on windswept crags. :D

This phrase was carved on one of the buildings I have seen recently.

Any Translations for it?

Anyone seen any other interesting phrases on buildings?

weez
Tony

Both my vans have had, carpe-diem, written on the bonnet, and I hope thats what I do,( seize the day );), on every trip.:)

Translation

Baloo
How did you know I was found on a cliff top, an abandoned child.

Sob!:)
Sob!:)

Weez
Tony

verberavisti patrem et matrem et occidi quoque potius quam cibum praehiberem

verberavisti patrem et matrem et occidi quoque potius quam cibum praehiberem

Is this from the argument scene in a play by Plautius? If so, all I can say to that is Luke 12.27 :D

we'll be onto the Dolphin Codes next :D

Is this from the argument scene in a play by Plautius? If so, all I can say to that is Luke 12.27 :D

we'll be onto the Dolphin Codes next :D
'fraid not, it was from Plautus.
I think from either Rudens or Asinaria, but it is some years since I was forced to translate it for a university exercise!

'fraid not, it was from Plautus.
I think from either Rudens or Asinaria, but it is some years since I was forced to translate it for a university exercise!

My apologies :D my spelling and brain not working - old age, senile decay etc etc :D

Please do not think this was a cheap dig!!!! Plautius does (or at least did) exist

Please do not think this was a cheap dig!!!! Plautius does (or at least did) exist

He was a git and was responsible for introducing cheap wine to the UK whereas Plautus was the Playwright and general nause about town - he was also a noted Motorhome builder (just made that bit up...) :D

Blimy this is all a bit profound!

Carpe Diem is my hubby's motto and I shall have it on his tomb stone if it is up to me.

We have toyed with having some words on our MH and I felt 'Vin Blanc' sort of summed up our big white box on wheels rather nicely - said in an English accent of course! :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back