can I fit a non -return valve in shower

hania00

As the shower is the lowest part in the van (Fiat Ducato), when the waste tank is pretty full , we can get waste water coming into the shower tray - is it possible/recommended to place a non-return valve in the waste pipe from the shower?

Presumably this occurs when moving. When the waste sloops around in the tank? Probably best solution would be a plug in the shower waste.

I've done it. The non return valve you need is supplied by caktanks.

Poke around and you'll find this:

LARGE BORE NON RETURN VALVES FOR WASTE WATER
Large bore inline non-return valves to prevent waste water backing up into your shower tray, particularly when
travelling up or down hills or when the waste tank is full.
Can also be used to maintain prime in a suction pipe, to a macerator pump etc. in marine applications.
Available for 3
⁄4” (20mm), 1” (25mm) & 1 1
⁄2” (38mm) hose.
WLV1215 1” & 1 1/2” (25 - 38 mm) Non return valve. Length 125mm
WLV1219 3/4” (19 mm) Non return valve.

My plug in the shower tray always got dislodged by the pressure of the waste water slopping up.

Macalpine used to make an inline one way valve trap but they were pretty rubbish tbh because as soon as you get any debris in the valve it stops working properly. It'd be a fiddle trying to bodge any kind of non return valve into your corrugated waste pipe system anyway.so personally I'd ventilate the tank with a simple hole on the top (which most MHs have anyway and then use a tight fitting plug in the shower tray.

use a tight fitting plug in the shower tray.

Is that a Euphemism ?

I've never heard it called that before.

1687193244538.png

@hania00
I have 32mm hep2o waterless traps fitted to both my shower and urine diverter. For exactly the scenario you describe,

Leaving just a plug in the shower 100% won’t work, water hydraulic action is incredibly powerful waterless traps are specifically designed to seal with any back flow.

Must say I have the same issue however I never drive with full waste tanks anyway, it's just if I don't stop the water going down too fast lol

Those of us who were around in 1976 will remember being instructed by the Government (so they must be right) to water our gardens with our washing up water and bath water. I never see the need to let waste water stay in the grey water tank. In fact the last two camp sites I have stayed in both had grey water disposal facilities inside man-hole covers which were up on raised pedestrian walk areas so you couldn't park your camper over them anyway.
I never saw a bit of grass or a hedge that didn't like a drink of water.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back