Camping Fayre...!!!

Channa

Interesting read re the merits of a slow cooker, I have a microwave which I have possibly used twice in 12 months. And because CI , decided The Euro 100 label of the product was a good idea to forsake and oven. I have a 4 burner hob and crap grill !!!.

That said I have produced some nice meals.

So heres the question , whats your favourite camping fayre, and share the recipe if you feel generous.

Having spent a lot of my working career in Leeds and Bradford,and working with Asians, I am never stuck for what I am told is authentic curry !! Even done paellas when in a group ( but outside normally on a woodfire which is the tradition I am told)

Channa

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to stick to simple things. My boyfriend refuses to cook as he denies all ability.
The chunky oven chips that the supermarkets do are dead handy as is Smash.
I always take some nice big potatoes for in the OVEN (See what I did there) pop 'em in walk the dog and a lovely smell when we get back.
I freeze some meat and then put it in freezer in truck and then try and get some local produce.
Beefburgers here is my recipe.
1lb - 1lb 1/2 of minced beef
Finely chopped onion
1 egg
big dollop of mustard
dash worcestershire sauce
quantity of grated cheese
finely chopped mushrooms if you like them
salt and pepper
mix all together, shape into burgers and cook.

The chunky oven chips that the supermarkets do are dead handy as is Smash.
I always take some nice big potatoes for in the OVEN (See what I did there) QUOTE]

tut tut ....doing so well chunky oven chips as smash ( I like that idea) ...then you scored an own goal ...the OVEN !!! :)

They sound a lovely Burger.

For a Pizza try this.

Ciabetta bread, slice lengthways..( or a french stick )

Melt a little butter in a pan with a couple of cloves of finely chopped garlic.

fry gently for a couple of minutes.

gently grill the bread so it isnt quite toasted but dried out !!

Brush the butter over the bread add, salami, chorizo what ever takes you fancy.

Slice some buffalo mozarella cheese ..and place over the meat.. couple of cherry vine tomatoes halved.bit of balsamic ...and stick under the grill until the cheese has melted.

Channa

This is another of my favourites and is delicious.

Pork chops in white wine and mushroom sauce with potoatoes and green beans.

First secret for this one is to visit a supermarket (aldi has an example ) and buy a cream / white wine sauce mix.( those in France will be spoilt for choice !!!)

grill the chops I prefer a bit of pepper on them. or fry. (I fry crap grill )

par boil some potatoes and slice.

In a seperate pan to the pork fry the potatoes in olive oil add a couple of crushed garlic cloves, add the trimmed french beans and sliced mushroom.

In the meantime heat the sauce.

Sprinkle agood helping of parsley over the potatoes mushroom and beans.

Serve....putting the sauce over the meat and vegetables.

Very French btw this one.

It is a killer I promise

Channa

Try the Cherokee version of 'Corned beef hash'. All you need is; Tin corned beef, 1 large onion, small orange pepper, Large tin New potatoes [cut into chunks], 1 oxo cube [beef], seasoning [black pepper and dried basil]
Put a little oil in a large, deep frypan and heat, add chopped potato, chopped onion and chopped pepper. Fry Till soft and potato starting to 'brown'. add 1 cup of water and crumble in oxo cube, add seasoning. simmer for 10-15 mins. Cut corned beef into cubes and add for last few minutes of cooking only, so as to remain firm. serve with chunks of buttered bread and your favorite tipple........Yummy! Follow with a fresh fruit salad and cream......Double yummy! Paol.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back