campervan accident

tony

a biker died in an accident with a campervan on the A40 in wales.

tony

Bikers are so vulnerable out there, they don't think about it and some drivers don't realise it.
We were on our way to the small village of Woodford, Northants. It is a two lane road, but not overly wide. Enough for two coachbuilts to pass and touch the bushes. We were on a left hand bend and suddenly on the wrong side of the road was a motorbike, leant over like he was in a race. He saw us, sat up and drove into the bushes. We immediately called the emergency services and went to find him. We left the van where it stopped as a warning to other road users.

He was insistent it was our fault, we were driving a large vehicle down a country road, the fact that there was a large delivery van behind us seemed to pass his senses by. The police and ambulance arrived and after explaining from our prospective what happened (and the driver behind us who we were holding up) the police had a quiet word with him. His bike was buried in the woodland and he is very lucky to have come off before it hit the large tree.

No charges were brought, I believe, but We gave witness statements and went on our way. Later that weekend, he arrived at our display and continued to mouth off that it was our fault. If that van had been in place of us, he most likely wouldn't be here now.

We were on our way to the small village of Woodford, Northants. It is a two lane road, but not overly wide. Enough for two coachbuilts to pass and touch the bushes. We were on a left hand bend and suddenly on the wrong side of the road was a motorbike, leant over like he was in a race. He saw us, sat up and drove into the bushes. We immediately called the emergency services and went to find him. We left the van where it stopped as a warning to other road users.

He was insistent it was our fault, we were driving a large vehicle down a country road, the fact that there was a large delivery van behind us seemed to pass his senses by. The police and ambulance arrived and after explaining from our prospective what happened (and the driver behind us who we were holding up) the police had a quiet word with him. His bike was buried in the woodland and he is very lucky to have come off before it hit the large tree.

No charges were brought, I believe, but We gave witness statements and went on our way. Later that weekend, he arrived at our display and continued to mouth off that it was our fault. If that van had been in place of us, he most likely wouldn't be here now.

Shame you didn't have a dash cam running. I wouldn't be without one now, drivers/riders who are clearly in the wrong and know they are in the wrong will lie through their teeth after the fact.

If they do lie like this and dash cam footage proves them to be lieing I think they should be done for insurance fraud as well as any traffic offences.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we lent our van cam to our son. His was stolen while out shopping. We told him later that he needed to buy a new one, which he did, but it took a total of six weeks. 😂😂 He'd had it nearly two weeks when this happened. We won't need it, I thought. We are only travelling around 12 miles, I thought. All's well that ends well. 👍

I find it amazing nowadays that people who are unfortunate enough to be involved in a collision can’t just be truthful.

Years ago I clipped a stationary car, so I stopped knocked on some doors and found its owner, apologised and gave him my details, we agreed 2 weeks later that I’d give him £120 and his mate would fix it.

A while later I went into a local pub and he came over and bought me a beer.

Dashcams are a good protection against accusations

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:179)

Charlynch, RichardHelen262, Walkingmox, oppy, bdastu, runnach, Bigshug, Pudsey Bear, jeffmossy, Robmac, Jo001, Outdoors Dad, mark61, pamjon, Scotia, 2cv, Mandoman, maingate, n brown, jagmanx, Tonybvi, campervanannie, exwindsurfer, CHAIRMAN, TeamRienza, Nabsim, winks, MartinFife, caledonia, lthoel2, jacquigem, ajb70, rugbyken, AllanD, izwozral, Wully, Canalsman, clarkpeacock, Alberto, Steve and Julie, Topmast, andyjanet, colinm, The Jacks, Obanboy666, The laird, Pauljenny, Fisherman, yorkslass, belbri, wildebus, korky, davep10000, mikejay, Bouydog, Bazza1509, NSY, kevlakes, aross, hmssnake, Val54, guerdeval, jeanette, 1 Cup, Wooie1958, mariesnowgoose, walpeter, SCRUMPY BOY, ultrawoman72, Heppy, QFour, myvanwy, vwalan, Murgzie, amcjam, Victor, tripper, neildent, NeilyG, Sean, forthpilot, vtwinner, Minky, horace, Rumour, dekaz, r4dent, cornish hymer, Biggarmac, The Raptor, Apollo 13, Matchlock, Tim120, RSD7a, saxonborg, Ken Parsons, SquirrellCook, BOTCANU, trevskoda, Makzine, TimSands, mistericeman, Gerti58, bartman, Lee, rustydog, GeoffL, AndyJL, Mossystone, chrisculyer, Duetto 1999, groyne, jann, Drover, chrishunter, Neckender, mick n jules, alcam, s4x4c, iris dement, Andys, Linda, adriahome, Boris7, Eric The Viking, barryd, marchie, ewen, Budgie, Costers, kingfisher1, DTF, JVG, stonedaddy, Pete Rachel, SimonM, HurricaneSmith, Alun100, Thistle, Mikebike, Okta, Nickrock, TeamPuffin, roadroamer, Mikekilbride, witzend, Eriba, gripseven, GWAYGWAY, VandA, mygrassisblue, royh28, UFO, merl, noah and nelly, Squeegee, Windy6, trixie88, Jiwawa, timnlinstanthevan, Rod, campingfun, Gerry Attrick, Den, gettingolder2, DAVEY, carthago, regnarts, Muddypuddler, Mr Pastry, G and T, GeorgeK, Wardy73, Ian and Cath, Kiikiicamps, MrU, Lioncrunch, Cass, Patandtubs,
Back