Cam belt or Chain

Hi Roundisland, me again!!! :p I am pretty certain that this age of Talb/Cit/Pug/Fiat with the 2lt petrol engine were all chain drive. :confused: Mine is a 1992 and its a chain. They are also known to be, virtually, bullet proof. :rolleyes: Not so sure about the smoke though,:eek: myself, I would leave it alone. :cool: Youve just shown us three of these so there must be one out there with your name on it!!! :D Keep showing us them though, we don't mind helping out! :D Ours is now on 183,000 miles so, just goes to show. (original engine as well!) ;) JIM.

hi they have a chain drive not belt as for the smoke if it is blue on start up only, then chances are oil is weeping past the valve stem oil seals thats a head strip to cure if it is blue smoke whilst driving usualy means bore and ring wear engine recon or 2cd hand unit if it is black more than likely carb probs over rich fuel wear in carb as for bullet proof mechanics they are reliable enough i admit but if its bullet proof you want then the old mercs score very highly not being biased have you looked at a bedford cf chep to buy a decent one can be had on ebay at around 1000 to 1500 quid very reliable simple mechanics decent mpg from 2.3 petrol engine down side slowish only 4 speed but 50 55 mph ok worth a look http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bedford-CF-Ca...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a bit of a beast Trevor, but i like the little stove at the end, that must make insurance hard to find or expensive??

Maybe i will progress to that in a few years!

Thats a bit of a beast Trevor, but i like the little stove at the end, that must make insurance hard to find or expensive??

Maybe i will progress to that in a few years!

Lots of hippies have the wood burning stoves in there vans, most of them live in thier vans, they are good to cook on also.
As far as insurance go's if the stove if fitted to specks it should not be a problem, a lot of campsites won't let you on if you have one.

Thanks very useful info really helping me here. I passed on the talbot the mileage was 117k and with the blue smoke thought it might not be a good idea.

The cf looks nice and in good con i will follow that auction maybe it will settle under 2k

here is another one I've seen with just 20k on the clock with a bit of work it cud be nice for not a lot of money...any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180291115824&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

two words forget it short mot and the cabs rotted as soon as they got wet :eek: looks like at least one flat tyre more like 120000 miles they only had 5 digit odometers change back to zero at 100000 miles, old Toyota's bad news worth about 500 quid at most as for door needs adjustment usually pillar rot just my opinion ok sorry just checked mot again its the tax i looked at still be wary

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back