Calum The Torridon Stag

Fisherman

Sadly Calum had to be put down recently.
I will never forget my first visit to Calum's carpark in Torridon, when he came right up to the van looking for an apple or a carrot.
I was gobsmacked, but I remember thinking this is not right, he's a wild animal.

tempImageksCkEO.png

Aye, very sad Bill, some people are so stupid to feed a wild animal junk food, which is far removed from a wild animal natural diet.

Within the country park behind me, the fields where horses graze are now covered with signs asking visitors not to feed their horses.

Aye, very sad Bill, some people are so stupid to feed a wild animal junk food, which is far removed from a wild animal natural diet.

Within the country park behind me, the fields where horses graze are now covered with signs asking visitors not to feed their horses.
Hands up I gave him an apple :(

But next two times I never fed him at all.

Honest Terry :)

Last edited:
We've seen him but didn't realise he was a celebrity, but we never feed wild animals.
The problem Kev, was he wild.
Yes he was born into the wild, but he became domesticated, which was wrong. Some of the locals would turn up at night and feed him what looked like vedge.
He became a celebrity, folk would turn up just to see him. They even brought bus loads during the day. I never felt comfortable with the whole thing.

Hands up I gave him an apple :(

But next two times I never fed him at all.
I doubt a single apple would have a huge impact on the animals welfare, Bill. I can imagine the animal has eaten a few discarded apple cores over the years.

Saw a Roe deer behind your house the other day with two young
Cale, I have loads of pictured taken over the years of large groups of Roe deer in the wood behind me. I actually saw the group yesterday as I usually pop up and check the bee hives. I also saw a pair of Bullfinches, the male with the beautiful red breast, They seem to like the area. Also, woodpecker nearly every day at my bird feeders, another lovely colourful bird.

If the rain ever stops, I'll pop up and set up my wild life camera.

As an aside note, one of the horse owners in the estate had to have their horse put down, it had been given something that did not agree with the animal. I dont think it was a deliberate act, though?

You know, The Pentlands are an area I am not familiar with Cale. Where would I find the waterfall?
Flotterstone carpark then basically follow the burn. The waterfall is part of the outflow from Glencorse reservoir and doesn’t always flow.
Lots of nice walks in the Pentlands but gets busy at weekends. They have designated camper bays and I’m sure you can overnight in Flotterstone carpark.

It’s an easy off road stroll from our daughter’s house in Penicuik to the Flotterstone which isn’t a bad drinking /eating hole. One of our favourite walks is up around the waterfall and reservoir then longish halt at the Flotterstone for refreshments on the way home. You can indeed overnight in the car park but it always seems to be very busy.

It’s an easy off road stroll from our daughter’s house in Penicuik to the Flotterstone which isn’t a bad drinking /eating hole. One of our favourite walks is up around the waterfall and reservoir then longish halt at the Flotterstone for refreshments on the way home. You can indeed overnight in the car park but it always seems to be very busy.
It’s busy during the day and at weekends. Would be a good overnight if you like a walk and a nice meal. Arrive late and leave early and I don’t see a problem.

IMG_3824.jpeg
IMG_3825.jpeg
IMG_3820.jpeg

Back