calor gas in Morocco

big brenda

Hi We are new to this and next year we will travel to Morocco in our Motorhome. What is the best way of obtaining gas in Morocco . Thanks for any help, mick

well , as no one else has answered you I will , although my info may be out of date ...can't imagine the position has changed though

propane difficult to obtain , but butane easy ; forget all the nonsense about special regulators , just stick it on ...I have for 25 years

13Kg bottles are normally french there , thread is [ like german ] exactly the same as a 4.5Kg blue calor butane , so as long as you can connect to that you have no problem ; if you have the old fashioned regulator on the bottle system ,but don't have on for this ,just pick up a regulator in the supermarket in france , 28/30 mB will do

on your way down through france pop into an emmaus and get an empty french bottle ...butagas used to be the most popular. or total , something like that ; cost you a couple of euros , if thay ask for more that 5 , just laugh

take the empty bottle to maroc and swop while there ; of course if you are short of gas on the way down you can always pay french prices and get a full one there ; you might like to leave space in your gas locker to fit one immediately

the only other gas universally available down there is camping gas if you have that ...be warned , the bottles are mostly disgusting ,, so make sure you have a decent one when you leave , they often won't exchange them back in europe if they are not , must have brand clearly showing

From our research prior to going it seems as if it is quite easy to get your own bottles refilled.
Assuming you are reasonably competent in French suggest you look at some of the French websites referenced in a Morocco thread I started on this forum.

Last edited:
From our research prior to going it seems as if it is quite easy to get your own bottles refilled.
Assuming you are reasonably competent in French suggest you look at some of the French websites referenced in a Morocco thread I started on this forum.
I hear that Moroccan authorities are starting to restrict this, a contact of ours certainly had difficulty getting bottles refilled at some gas plants.

Several campsites offer a refilling service but it is likely to be difficult to get UK bottles filled because of the different fittings, Morocco uses the French style threaded fitting.

The easiest way seems to be to buy a Moroccan bottle when you need one and take a French type fitting (UK butane threaded fitting is the same) to connect to your regulator. The cost of a full bottle was around 200Dh, with refills costing 40-50Dh.

AndyC

why woulld you want to have to hike to a gas factory anyway when , presuming you have a french bottle , you can just swop it ?

why woulld you want to have to hike to a gas factory anyway when , presuming you have a french bottle , you can just swop it ?

"Gas factories" are not as easy to find as they say and they are only in a few big cities. Much easier to use the local 13kg bottles.

There are half a dozen major suppliers of swap'n'go gas in Morocco and the bottles are painted different colours. We bought the rust red one from the major fuel chain in Tangier (about 200D full and then 40D swap)) and were able to find outlets over most of west and central Morocco, but east and north were served by different companies and a couple of times we had to pay 10D extra "inconvenience" fee when the brands were different.

I had to use one of my 4 adaptors to match the flat-faced outlet on the Moroccan bottles to the German connection.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back