Caen to Barcelona

Paul38

Hi Everyone
My partner and me are driving from Cean on the 12th September to arrive in Barcelona on the 15th and are looking for a couple of stopovers along the way
Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Thanks Paul

Hi Everyone
My partner and me are driving from Cean on the 12th September to arrive in Barcelona on the 15th and are looking for a couple of stopovers along the way
Thanks Paul
Do you have an approximate route planned or at least an indication as to whether or not you intend to use toll motorways?

Hi TJBi
Thanks for replying
We are arriving in Ouistreham (Caen) at 3 o'clock and hopping to be under way by four . Looks like Google wants to send us down the middle around Tours and straight down from there .
Was hopping to make Tours before sun down that evening but that's as far as we have planned .Sorry it's a bit vague
Many Thanks Paul

Hi TJBi
Thanks for replying
We are arriving in Ouistreham (Caen) at 3 o'clock and hopping to be under way by four . Looks like Google wants to send us down the middle around Tours and straight down from there .
Was hopping to make Tours before sun down that evening but that's as far as we have planned .Sorry it's a bit vague
Many Thanks Paul
There is a nice free aire in Vouvray , just to the east of Tours. If that is full a little further east is a winery where we have stayed , name escapes me but was sig Ed of main road. Quite a few places following the river.

Hi Paul. We do this route quite a bit. We use a municipal site at Gannat for first night and then an aire near the France /Spannish border on the French side. Maureillas-Las-illas. Close to the autoroute and not too far onward to Barca. Recommend both. (y)

Thank you both
Sounds like we may be getting a plan together as always seems to happen have plenty of time to get organised and work life gets in the way and it’s Last Minute.Com again 🙀
Cheers Paul

It depends how large your van is. Spain allows an overnight park up in any public carpark, the same as France. I would not recommend large towns or cities but there should be lots of small villages. One lovely place is a leasure place by a lake, but I'm sorry I don't have the co ordinates.😒

Hi Paul. We do this route quite a bit. We use a municipal site at Gannat for first night and then an aire near the France /Spannish border on the French side. Maureillas-Las-illas. Close to the autoroute and not too far onward to Barca. Recommend both. (y)
Hi Myvanwy
Could I ask what do you think of peage or not on that route down we have done the Atlantic side to northern Spain and found it quick but not the cheapest and you don’t see much of the countryside
Thanks Paul

There is a nice free aire in Vouvray , just to the east of Tours. If that is full a little further east is a winery where we have stayed , name escapes me but was sig Ed of main road. Quite a few places following the river.
Meung-sur-Loire Aire is in that neck of the woods. Free, but 3€ for Water or EHU. Super U Hypermarket less than 1 mile away

Steve

Yes steve with wild boar that chase you across the car park ! Janet still laughing at me for getting chased

Yes steve with wild boar that chase you across the car park ! Janet still laughing at me for getting chased
Being chased is critical to the state of being chaste - allegedly :ROFLMAO:. I wasn't bothered by the wildlife during our 3 stays there - maybe they realised I was the biggest bore around ... :D

Steve

Hi Myvanwy
Could I ask what do you think of peage or not on that route down we have done the Atlantic side to northern Spain and found it quick but not the cheapest and you don’t see much of the countryside
Thanks Paul
Hi Paul. Its all down to preference. We used to try to stay away from the toll roads but soon got fed up of constant stop,starts and roundabouts ets. There is a toll free section down the middle (Clermont Ferrand) to almost med coast. The "Bridge" is tolled but well worth the cost for the experience. We do have toll tags for both countries but the Spanish side is now toll free. If you only have a couple of days to get down to Barca, I would do tolls.
Have a great trip.

We did the same in January, can’t remember the route detail but we did stop just outside Bordeaux for a couple of nights. Close to the metro and popped into Bordeaux. Nice day out.

Vouvray? Don't forget the vino...

Hi Everyone
Thanks Paul
Can't say stopover wise, but a fantastic route but not the fastest is to head down
the west coast into Spain then head east in the lower foothills roughly towards Roses before turning down the east coast to Barcy. Wonderfull mountain views and amazing mix of rock colours, empty roads etc, nice.

Hi Paul. Its all down to preference. We used to try to stay away from the toll roads but soon got fed up of constant stop,starts and roundabouts ets. There is a toll free section down the middle (Clermont Ferrand) to almost med coast. The "Bridge" is tolled but well worth the cost for the experience. We do have toll tags for both countries but the Spanish side is now toll free. If you only have a couple of days to get down to Barca, I would do tolls.
Have a great trip.
Yes the "clement froid" route is s good un.

I can recommend Pont-de-Ruan free Aire 10k south west of Tours also free water & electric hook-up when I was there in March this year. Space for six MH.
Found it on wild camping location app is about 4 hours from Caen avoiding tolls.

Back