C@MC and Red Pennant............having a laugh

• Thread starter Deleted member 9849
  • Start date

Deleted member 9849

My insurance expires next week so I have just done the annual ritual of ringing around a few companies to try and get a decent quote.My present company is Caravan Guard,they sent me the renewal letter last week and the premium had increased by £31(no changes or accident claims).The Caravan and Motorhome Club guarantee to beat any genuine like for like renewal quote by £25 so I gave them a ring.

I expected them to quote at least £25 less as they promised and they did.They were significantly cheaper then Caravan Guard,£87 less than I had been quoted.Great,or so I thought.There is a catch-european breakdown cover is not included and I had to ring Red Pennant,a breakdown cover company run by and for the C@MC.

I rang Red Pennant for a european breakdown cover quote(they only do a maximum trip of 66 days)and was shocked when they quoted nearly £500 :scared:,nearly twice as much as the annual insurance premium.It would have meant a total approaching £800 for insurance with european breakdown cover with the C@MC.It's quite rude to laugh at someone when on the phone but I'm sorry to say that I couldn't help it.I said that you obviously don't want to cover an old Hymer so I will take my custom elsewhere and ended the call quickly.

I finished up with Comfort insurance who gave me a competitive quote with european breakdown cover(9 months maximum).They were £50 cheaper then Caravan Guard.A friend's Rapido suffered serious hail damage in a bad storm a few years back and Comfort settled his claim promptly and efficiently so I know their claims handling is good.I am aware that there has been issues with Comfort and other companies providing proof of NCD if you decide to leave them so checked they would do this.They confirmed that if I show them my renewal letter from Caravan Guard with the maximum 9+years NCD they would provide a letter of entitlement at any time in the future so the decision was a no brainer.

It is rather tiresome doing this at every renewal but the savings gained make it worth it.In my experience insurance companies do not reward loyalty.

I think that you did well to avoid C & MC insurance. They use Devitts. i had the misfortune to use them one year and their inept handling of no claims evidence almost left me driving uninsured. I ended up paying more to be insured with them than I would have done elsewhere. Beware anyone considering using them.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back