Butane or Propane?

Having tanks that we fill up at the fuel station I (believe) that is mixture of propane and butane. We have never had any problems and we have stayed in some sub-zero conditions in Germany a few winters back. Couple of the water pipes froze up but no problem with the gas.

As long as there is some propane left in the tank, you will not have problems - but once the propane has been used, you will be left with mostly butane and that will cause loss of supply around freezing point.
If you then refilled the tank -now say half full of butane - with a 50-50 propane - butane mix, then you would only have a quarter of a tank of propane to use when temperatures fell below 0C.

Used as a fuel in a vehicle, butane is quite OK because the liquid is drawn from the tank, not the gas, and then either direct injected into the engine or evaporated using coolant heat before being used in the engine as a gas. The only time you would have problems would be if it was pure butane and the temperature was getting down to freezing, but then all you have to do is run on petrol long enough for the engine to warm up and the coolant to get hot enough to evaporate the liquid fast enough to supply the engine.

Gas Gas Gas

Now here's an idea, which I have built and tested without any problems.
I initially had a butane freeze problem when running my blow heater, so rather than ditch the cylinders I made a manifold whereby its possible to switch between butane or propane depending on the temperature conditions.
You will obviously need space for another cylinder for this idea to work. Some copper pipe, gas tubing and a couple of gas knobs and away you go.(all from that big well known store beginning with B ending with Q)
Check for leakes before igniting etc....

I also use Propane year round. However the new van has a fixed LPG cylinder, so things will be different.

In this country LPG is Propane, other countries may mix various proportions of Butane in as well.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back