Burgos, Salamanca and Cordoba

GMJ

Hi folks

I'm just turning my thoughts to our winter sun trip to Spain next January and we plan to visit some cities that we haven't visited before.

I could do with some input on Burgos, Salamanca and Cordoba and whether we need to think about staying more than 2 nights in each place.

If you have visited these cities I would welcome your thoughts on whether we should stay 2 or 3 nights and visit the city on more than one day, or not.

Thanks

Sorry no, but if you are looking for a stop between Burgos and Salamanca, we love Ampudia.

It's a free aire in a quaint little town. Part of El Cid was filmed at the castle, the castle has been bought and restored, and parts of it are used by the community. There's a huge church that's worth seeing too, overnight is really quiet.

IMG-20230513-WA0000.jpg

Hi folks

I'm just turning my thoughts to our winter sun trip to Spain next January and we plan to visit some cities that we haven't visited before.

I could do with some input on Burgos, Salamanca and Cordoba and whether we need to think about staying more than 2 nights in each place.

If you have visited these cities I would welcome your thoughts on whether we should stay 2 or 3 nights and visit the city on more than one day, or not.

Thanks
We visited Salamanca this year, Graham, and used the Free Aire that doubles a Car Park. We planned to stay 3 nights [plenty to see wandering around the Old Town and Plaza Maior], but some kind person parked his car so close to Brunhilde [bonnet under the bike rack ... and our cassette is a rear end access affair too!] that we had to move to deal with access. We decided to move on to our next Aire at Bejar in the late afternoon of Day 3

Burgos was off our route; and Cordoba was too hot for a visit, coinciding with a circulatory problem in my right leg. So Cordoba remains on the 'To Do' List

Steve

Hi folks

Thanks
Out of the three Salamanca is the one I'd stay longest

Reactions: GMJ
Out of the three Salamanca is the one I'd stay longest

We are pretty flexible on the outward trip from Blighty hence my starting the thread, We'll take at least 2 weeks to get from home to our first 'drop anchor' place where we will stay for a week, so can stay 2 or 3 nights at each place.

We have been thinking about next winter and driving from the south coast up to Santander with stops at Salamanca and Burgos so very interested in your thread. We have spent 3 nights Madrid this year which we are planning again next winter and is recommended.

Burgos is a lovely town, plenty of Tapas bars and lively at night i.e. typically Spanish. 1 day/2 nights is probably enough. It has a small town feel to it and is a nice place.

Salamanca is bigger and if you've never been before it's easy enough to fill two full days there, depending upon your interests. Well worth visiting.

Both places will give an authentic Spanish experience at night, especially if one night you graze at various tapas bars instead of eating your dinner in a restaurant. Salamanca has some very popular restaurants too by the way.

We have been thinking about next winter and driving from the south coast up to Santander with stops at Salamanca and Burgos so very interested in your thread. We have spent 3 nights Madrid this year which we are planning again next winter and is recommended.

We did Madrid on this year's Spanish trip and stayed at Camping International Aranjuez. It's a decent campsite fully serviced pitches with ACSI were around 20 odd Euros from memory. You get the added benefit of the Royal Palace in Aranjuez to visit which is lovely. Walkable into town and to the train station for Madrid or around €10 in a taxi one way.

Another recommendation for Aranjuez. We stayed in the parking area next to the river, free. ( blue flag top left hand side)
IMG_2667.png

Cordoba is well worth a visit, there’s a good Aire just outside the historic centre. (Red flag on map). Some traffic noise, and a bit expensive but few other options.
IMG_9389.jpeg

• Thank You
I stayed on the free parking in Cordoba, near the botanical gardens - it was busy but ok - 20 minutes or so walk into the old town. I stayed for 2 nights.

Stayed in Cordaba in the pay aire 50mtrs from City walls .not cheap at about €20 but the free one (bloke was charging €4 to watch motorhomes) was full.. bloke only part time.
stunning city needs a few nights. Check when festivals are on as they are worth it.
Salamanca is a university city..some great buildings..didn't stay though.
Not been to burgos.

Hi folks

Thanks
i'D imagine arriving the evening before and exploring for half a day would do us, soo very perishing cold up there in the winter, and that's on a dry day, far more interested in heading far south pdq.

Back